June 1, 1972 |
Johnson City, New York, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|Played for||New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||53rd overall, 1990
New Jersey Devils
Michael Dunham (born June 1, 1972 in Johnson City, New York) is a retired American professional ice hockey goaltender who is currently the goaltending coach for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League (NHL).
Dunham attended Canterbury School in New Milford, CT where he was an All-New England 1st Team Goalie under legendary prep school coach Charlie Huntington. Dunham played college hockey for the University of Maine, where he shared the goaltending duties with Garth Snow. The team won the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship in Dunham's final season, 1992–93.
He was drafted in the 3rd round (53rd overall) of the 1990 NHL Entry Draft by the New Jersey Devils. He won the William M. Jennings Trophy with Martin Brodeur after the 1996–97 NHL season. During the 1998 expansion draft, Mike Dunham was selected by the Nashville Predators where he played four seasons splitting the starting role with Tomáš Vokoun. He also played for the New York Rangers, Atlanta Thrashers, and New York Islanders. Dunham participated in the 2002 Winter Olympic Games, helping the United States win the silver medal. During the NHL lockout 2004-05, Dunham played with Skellefteå AIK in Sweden to make a team boost for the end of season.
Dunham has a career record of 141–178–39–5, with a 2.74 goals against average, 90.8% save percentage, and 19 shutouts.
Awards and honors
|Olympic medal record|
|Men's ice hockey|
|Silver||2002 Salt Lake City||Ice hockey|
|World Junior Championships|
|All-Hockey East First Team||1992–93|
- Hap Holmes Memorial Award (lowest GAA in AHL): 1994–95 season (shared with Corey Schwab)
- William M. Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed in NHL season): 1996–97 season (shared with Martin Brodeur)
- Binghamton Hockey Hall Of Fame. Inducted Friday March 13, 2009 (w/Glenn Merkosky)
- "Mike Dunham, Goaltending Coach - New York Islanders - Coaching Staff". Islanders.nhl.com. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Mike Dunham's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Mike Dunham's player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kölzig
|Winner of the Hap Holmes Memorial Award
Manny Legace and Scott Langkow
Chris Osgood and Mike Vernon
|Winner of the William M. Jennings Trophy