Mike Goldberg at UFC 80
November 24, 1964 |
Cincinnati, OH, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Kim (2 children)|
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Goldberg is best known as the lead play-by-play announcer (working alongside Joe Rogan) for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the world's largest mixed martial arts organization, where he first began working in 1997. His voice is heard on pay-per-views and Fox, Fox Sports Net and Spike TV. Goldberg is the host of the FOX TV program UFC Unleashed.
In 2005, Goldberg was offered a contract to work for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), to be the head announcer on the WWEs flagship show RAW. He was also reportedly offered an extra six-figure amount to no-show at a UFC event prior to starting work for WWE. Ultimately, Goldberg refused the WWE contract and signed a new deal with the UFC.
He is the former TV play-by-play announcer for the Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild and ESPN2 Hockey. He has also done fill-in work for the Phoenix Coyotes TV broadcasts, and he also called PPV games for the Vancouver Canucks in the 1990s. Before that, he worked at WWSB-40 in Sarasota, Florida 1987 - 1988.
He has also called Arizona Cardinals preseason telecasts, and called a regular season Detroit Lions-Minnesota Vikings game for Fox in 2014. Goldberg was supposed to become a regular play-by-play man for Fox's NFL telecasts in 2014, but poor response to his play-by-play, followed by Goldberg's often obscene off-air replies to that response, prompted Fox to replace Goldberg with Tim Brando.
In late 2012, Goldberg took time off and missed UFC 155 after catching a respiratory infection in Brazil, then experiencing complications of combining drugs to treat it with drugs to treat his long-standing asthma.
- Stupp, Dan. "UFC’s military events have impact on broadcaster". Dayton Daily News.
- Reynolds, Robert. "UFC announcer Mike Goldberg goes from pucks to punchouts". MMADieHards.com.
- GOLDBERG SPEAKS FOR FIRST TIME - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more
- 411mania.com: Wrestling - VIOLENT PANDA Saturday News 08.05.06
- Pergament, Alan (October 20, 2014). Fox's Brando proves to be a strong substitute and storyteller. The Buffalo News. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- [Stated in the August 2007 issue of Ultimate Grappling]
- "Mike Goldberg: I Absolutely Do Not Have a Drug Problem", from MMAFighting