|Born||Michael James Holmes
August 3, 1963
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||General Contractor, Television host|
|Height||6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m)|
Michael James Holmes (born 3 August 1963) is a Canadian residential home improvement contractor and television show host. Beginning with Holmes on Homes and subsequent shows, he rescues Toronto, Ontario, area homeowners from renovations gone wrong. He continued in his successor TV series, Holmes Inspection. He is also a judge on HGTV's show Handyman Superstar Challenge; and its American counterpart All American Handyman with Scott McGillivray.
- 1 Background
- 2 Television series
- 3 Business
- 4 Awards and accolades
- 5 Publications
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Mike Holmes learned his craft from his father, who started teaching him construction work when he was 6 years old. By the time he was 19, Holmes had started his first contracting company, with a crew of 13 employees. At 21, Holmes founded his own renovation company. He has run two companies during his 20-year contracting career. He has three children: Amanda, Sherry, and Mike Jr., who have all appeared and worked on his shows.
In 2006, Holmes started The Holmes Foundation after seeing a renovation that was so poorly done that he felt it was necessary for him to tear the house down and start again rather than try to repair the damage. The purpose of The Holmes Foundation is to encourage young people to enter the building trades as well as to assist those who have been impoverished by bad renovations. Mike is well known for his contribution to the international community through his work with SOS Children's Villages.
In 2006, Mike Holmes was recognized in Canada’s House of Commons for his promotion of skilled trades and for his advocacy for improved building standards. He was acknowledged as an "extraordinary craftsperson" and "an accomplished master builder with a social conscience".
Holmes is the author of two successful books: the national bestseller Home Renovation with Canada’s Most Trusted Contractor and Holmes Inspection — Everything you Need to Know Before You Buy or Sell Your Home, as well as a weekly newspaper column.
He is the national spokesperson for Skills/Compétences Canada and for WorldSkills Calgary 2009 and is often invited to speak by professional organizations, such as the Canadian Safety Association of Ontario, the Ontario Building Inspectors Association and the Canadian Association of Home Inspectors.
Holmes on Homes
Broadcast on HGTV Canada, Holmes on Homes first started in 2001. Holmes on Homes was first conceived when Holmes approached the producers of the Just Ask Jon Eakes home improvement show on HGTV with the idea for a new kind of home improvement show. Although there were few submissions to the show initially, their number had ballooned by the fourth season. In one fourth-season episode, Holmes stated that he received hundreds of e-mails a week from people asking him for help. As the show evolved, it generally focused on bad renovations and the results of bad contractors.
In Canada, Holmes on Homes airs on HGTV Canada, BBC Canada and Casa for the French version. It airs in the US on HGTV, in New Zealand on The Living Channel, in Australia on Lifestyle Home and in the United Kingdom on Discovery Shed (formerly Discovery Real Time), in Germany on DMAX, and in South Africa on the Home Channel.
Holmes in New Orleans
Between the end of Holmes on Homes and the start of Holmes Inspection, Mike Holmes starred in a one season series on the construction of a new home in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, to replace one destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.
Mike began a new series in 2009 called Holmes Inspection that profiles home inspections gone wrong. Holmes Inspection started airing in fall 2009 on HGTV Canada. In the United States, the series debuted on HGTV on Sunday, December 19, 2010.
Best of Holmes on Homes
Holmes Makes It Right
Mike started a new series for 2012 called Holmes Makes It Right, that profiles disaster-struck homes, and renovates them to make them right. The series focuses on natural disasters, and bad home inspections or bad contractor work. The name of the series revolves around Mike's personal motto, "Make It Right".
Handyman Challenge franchise
Handyman Superstar Challenge
All American Handyman
Canada's Handyman Challenge
||This section appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2011)|
|This section relies on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
Mike Holmes Inspections
In 2009 Mike launched Mike Holmes Inspections, a residential home inspection service. Mike's "Holmes Approved" Home Inspectors are currently inspecting houses across the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, the Calgary area in Alberta and in the central area of Nova Scotia.
Through the Holmes Custom Home program homeowners work with selected builders and designers to create their preferred style of home while meeting Mike's tough standards for quality and sustainability.
Holmes has partnered with several home builders across Canada to develop the Holmes Approved Homes program. The program ensures that homeowners get a high-quality, durable home that’s built to exceed industry standards. The goal of the program is to raise the bar for home building to above minimum industry standards. Each home is inspected by Mike Holmes Inspections several times during the building process.
His company is developing "Wind Walk", the first Holmes Community, in southwest Alberta, a community of eco-friendly and sustainable homes with high standards for residential construction and design.
Awards and accolades
- 2004 Gemini Awards - Viewers' Choice Award 
- February 21, 2008 Holmes was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Technology from the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
- 2009 Gemini Awards - Holmes in New Orleans: Best Lifestyle/Practical Information Series
- June 18, 2012 - The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal 
- Holmes, Mike (2010), Make It Right: Kitchens and Bathrooms, HarperCollins Canada, ISBN 1-55468-033-6
- Holmes, Mike (2009), Make It Right:Attics and Basements, HarperCollins Canada, ISBN 1-55468-031-X
- Holmes, Mike (2008), The Holmes Inspection:Everything You Need to Know Before You Buy Or Sell Your Home, HarperCollins Canada, ISBN 1-55468-043-3
- Holmes, Mike (2006), Make it Right : Inside Home Renovation with Canada's Most Trusted Contractor, HarperCollins Canada, ISBN 0-00-200813-0
- "Make It Right". The Holmes Foundation. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- "Official Report * Table of Contents * Number 072 (Official Version)". .parl.gc.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Make it Right-Inside". Holmesonhomes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Holmes Products". Holmesonhomes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Mike Holmes: Making it Right | Reader's Digest Canada". Readersdigest.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Make It Right .ca , Holmes in New Orleans
- "Accessed January 20, 2009". Holmesonhomes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Calgary Herald, "HGTV's Holmes will now fix broken lives", PostMedia News, 28 Feb 2012
- HGTV.ca, Casting Call circa early March 2012 (accessed 10 March 2012) (NOTE: This reference link expires when casting ends)
- Make It Right Foundation, Casting Call circa early March 2012 (accessed 10 March 2012) (NOTE: This reference link expires when casting ends)
- HGTV Canada, Holmes Makes It Right - Casting Call TV commercial - on air commercial, airdate 14 March 2012 @ circa 07h40am
- Handyman Superstar Challenge, season 1 episode 1
- All American Handyman, season 1 episode 1
- HGTV.ca, Canada's Handyman Challenge
- "Quality Home Inspections". Mike Holmes Inspections. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Holmes Homes | Quality Sustainable Homes & Communities". Windwalk.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Holmes Homes | Quality Sustainable Homes & Communities | Holmes Communities". Holmeshomes.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television (August 29, 2009). "Viewer's Choice Award - 19th Gemini Awards (2004)". Academy.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- BCIT (February 23, 2008). "http://www.bcit.ca/news/releases/newsrelease02210800000001.shtml". Bcit.ca. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- "Mike Receives Diamond Jubilee Medal". Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Make It Right - The Holmes Group
- Holmes Makes it Right - Official HGTV Show Site
- Toronto Sun interview with Mike Holmes
- Mike Holmes at the Internet Movie Database
- Video Interview With Mike Holmes for AOL Television