|Mike Layton at his campaign party with his father Jack Layton.|
|Toronto City Councillor for (Ward 19) Trinity-Spadina|
December 1, 2010
|Preceded by||Joe Pantalone|
|Born||1980 (age 33–34)
North York, Ontario
|Spouse(s)||Brett Tyron (m. 2012)|
|Occupation||Deputy Outreach Director|
Layton is the son of former federal New Democratic Party (NDP) leader and former city councillor Jack Layton and his first wife Sally Halford. He is the step-son of Layton's second wife, former NDP Member of Parliament for Trinity—Spadina and former city councillor Olivia Chow.
Layton married his wife Brett Tryon, a program coordinator for the charity Environmental Defence Canada, on Toronto Island in 2012 near the location where Jack Layton and Olivia Chow were married in 1988.
Layton has Bachelor of Arts in political science and environmental management from the University of Toronto where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity, and a Master of Arts in environmental sciences from York University. After graduating, he worked for Environmental Defence, a national environmental charity eventually becoming deputy outreach director. He was also the coordinator for the Green Energy Act Alliance. He worked as a bartender and manager at a restaurant on King Street West for six years.
In 2010, he ran as a candidate in Ward 19 to replace Joe Pantalone who retired to run for mayor. Layton won the election with more than double the vote total of his closest rival, Karen Sun.
|2010 Toronto election, Ward 19|
- Layton, Jack (2004). Speaking Out: Ideas That Work for Canadians. Key Porter Books. p. 27. ISBN 1-55263-577-5.
- "Jack Layton: A timeline of his accomplishments". CBC News. 22 August 2011.
- "Mike Layton joins parents in victory". National Post, October 25, 2010.
- Robertson, Dylan C. (26 August 2012). "Councillor Mike Layton marries Brett Tryon on Toronto Island". Toronto Star. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Mike Layton: chip off the old block?, CBC.ca, 26 February 2010.
- About Mike, Mike Layton, city councillor Ward 19 Trinity-Spadina. Last accessed 27 August 2011.
- Mean old Argos fold for Mike Layton. Toronto Sun, July 26, 2011.
- "Councillor - Ward 19: 41 out of 41 polls reporting". City of Toronto. 26 October 2010.