January 12, 1977 |
Kimberley, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
|Played for||Adirondack Red Wings
Las Vegas Wranglers
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||30th overall, 1995
Tampa Bay Lightning
McBain spent 64 games in the National Hockey League with the Tampa Bay Lightning between 1997 and 1999, scoring seven points. After spending four years between the IHL and AHL, McBain eventually left North America to play in England with the Bracknell Bees. After spending two seasons with the Bees, McBain returned to North America to play with the Las Vegas Wranglers. McBain played with the Wranglers from 2003–08 and was team captain from 2005-07
After five seasons with the Wranglers, McBain retired in 2008 and became an assistant coach with the team.
McBain was formally charged with nine counts of sexual assault of a minor on July 15, 2012. According to police reports, the unnamed 16 year old girl was sexually assaulted by McBain between 2008 and 2012 while impersonating an on-and-off teammate (Jason Krischuk) by impersonating him using a false email account. Once the unnamed girl reported the assault to her mother, her mother confronted McBain. McBain eventually left the state, fleeing from Nevada to Oregon to a family member's place where he tried to commit suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills. McBain was eventually admitted to a local hospital and was later visited by the victim's mother, where he admitted that he had sexually assaulted her daughter. He also wrote the girl an apology letter.
McBain turned himself in July 5 at the Clark County Detention Center. He pled guilty in September to attempted sexual assault with a minor under 14 and attempted lewdness with a minor under 14. He was sentenced to for four to fifteen years.
- Ritter, Ken (2013-01-30). "Michael McBain, Former NHL Player, Gets Prison In Child Sex Case". Huffington Post. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Greg Wyshynski (August 20, 2012). "Mike McBain, former NHLer, accused of impersonating teammate in molestation arrest". Yahoo.com. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Nicole Benson (August 16, 2012). "Former Wranglers Player Faces Sexual Abuse Charges". 8NewsNow. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Mike McBain's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Mike McBain's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Mike McBain's player profile at NHL.com
- Mike McBain's biography at Legends of Hockey