Mike Pegg is a British writer and mentor who has helped to pioneer the strengths approach to working with people. He has written many books on the topic. These include The Art of Mentoring, The Super Teams Book and Strengths Coaching In 90 Minutes (the latter co-authored with Sue Moore). The strengths approach is now acknowledged as having a key part to play in education, work, organisations, sports and all walks of life.
Pegg was born in Leeds, England, in 1944. He grew up in Derbyshire, left school at 15 and worked in a factory for six years. First given the chance to work with people by Community Service Volunteers in 1965, Mike has spent the past 45 years studying what works and helping people to build on their strengths and achieve their picture of success. In 2010 he set up The Strengths Foundation. Pegg’s early work was captured in the 1972 BBC documentary Escape To Fulfilment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hC3MeNKiTI), which highlighted his role in running Lancaster House in Richmond. This described the pioneering therapeutic community he ran for young people. They were encouraged:
a) To take responsibility; b) To build on their strengths; c) To manage the consequences of their weaknesses.
They then encouraged each other to stay healthy and achieve success.
In 1974 Pegg set-up his own company dedicated to helping people to build on their strengths and achieve ongoing success. Invited to work in Scandinavia, he spent over a decade there educating leaders in schools, business and sports. Returning to the UK in 1986, he has since focused on working with pioneering individuals, teams and organisations.
His approach has always been to study, simplify and share what works. This has led to providing practical tools that people have used to build super teams and superb organisations. These have been adopted by organisations to build excellence cultures, rather than excuse cultures. They have delivered a clear story, strategy and road to success.
Pegg’s style is encouraging and generous, but it is also extremely clear. He only works with people, teams and organisations that aim to be positive, professional and peak performers. Many organisations report that this approach works. People take away practical tools they can use to deliver peak performance.
A strong advocate of sharing knowledge, Mike set up The Strengths Foundation in 2010. The Foundation’s site is packed with positive models and practical tools that people can download and use in their own way.
Pegg published several books in Scandinavia in the 1970s and 80s. These are no longer in print. The following books have been published in the UK, with other editions being published in various countries.
- Positive Leadership, Management Books 2000, (1994).
- The Positive Planet, Enhance, (1996).
- The Positive Workbook, Management Books 2000, (1997).
- The Art of Encouragement, Management Books 2000, (1997).
- The Art of Mentoring, Management Books 2000, (1999).
- The Magic of Work, Management Books 2000, (2002).
- The Super Teams Book, Management Books 2000, (2002).
- The Mentor’s Book, Management Books 2000, (2003).
- The Class Act Book, Management Books 2000, (2004).
- Strengths Coaching in 90 Minutes (co-authored with Sue Moore), Management Books 2000, (2005)
- The Strengths Way, Management Books 2000, (2007).
- The Strengths Toolbox, Management Books 2000, (2008).
- The Art of Strengths Coaching, Management Books 2000, (2012).
- Mike Pegg's blog.
- The Strengths Foundation.
- Interview with Mike Pegg in The Guardian
- Interview referencing the work on Mike Pegg in Strategic HR Review