Posner at the 2012 Pepsi Summerbash at Toyota Park in Chicago, Illinois.
|Birth name||Michael Robert Henrion Posner|
February 12, 1988 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Genres||R&B, hip hop, trance|
|Associated acts||Akon, Big Sean, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Elzhi, Cher Lloyd, Iggy Azalea, Rittz, Mike Stud|
Michael Robert "Mike" Posner (born February 12, 1988) is an American singer, songwriter, and producer. Posner released his debut album, 31 Minutes to Takeoff, on August 10, 2010. The album includes the Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 single "Cooler Than Me," his second single, "Please Don't Go," as well as his third single, "Bow Chicka Wow Wow". He is also known for writing and producing "Boyfriend" by Justin Bieber, "Beneath Your Beautiful" by Labrinth, as well as songs for Big Sean, 2 Chainz, Wiz Khalifa, and Snoop Dogg. Posner is a member of the Finally Famous crew. He is also known for his positive outlook on life.
Early life 
Posner was born in Detroit, Michigan. He was raised in Southfield, Michigan, the son of Roberta Henrion and Jon Posner, a criminal defense attorney. His father is Jewish and his mother is Catholic. Posner attended and graduated from Groves High School, where he ran varsity track and cross-country, and went on to attend Duke University. There Posner became a member of Sigma Nu fraternity and graduated in 2010 with a degree in sociology, with an overall GPA of 3.59.
2009: Musical beginnings 
Posner got his start producing his hometown friend Big Sean. Posner produced and was featured on Big Sean's first mixtape on a song entitled, Smoke & Drive. Posner's second mixtape, A Matter of Time (the first mixtape being Reflections of a Lost Teen) started attracting industry attention in 2009. Working with Don Cannon and DJ Benzi, the mixtape was recorded and released from his dorm room at Duke University in March 2009 under the name, "Mike Posner & the Brain Trust," the Brain Trust referring to Posner's supporters. The release was unusual for being distributed for free through iTunes U, a channel designed for educational audio content. Although Posner was not the only artist to take advantage of this loophole, his release was the most organised and high profile, and attracted the largest response, immediately reaching the number one position on the iTunes U chart.
2010-2011: 31 Minutes to Takeoff 
Posner signed a record deal with J Records (RCA/Sony) in July 2009, after his Junior year at Duke. He chose to return to Duke after signing, and toured on the weekends while at the same time recording for his debut album. Posner's third mixtape One Foot Out the Door was released in October. The mixtape was accompanied by a web series of the same name which aired bi-weekly from September to December. Posner's debut album, 31 Minutes to Takeoff was released in August 2010. The first single, "Cooler Than Me" reached number six on the Billboard Hot 100. He performed at music festival Bonnaroo and on the 2010 Warped Tour. The second and third singles, "Please Don't Go" and "Bow Chicka Wow Wow" reached the top 20 and 30 on the Hot 100 respectively. The latter was released with an added verse by rapper Lil Wayne. Posner won a 2011 ASCAP Award from the publishing organization for "Cooler Than Me".
On October 7, 2011, RCA Music Group announced it was disbanding J Records along with Arista Records and Jive Records. With the shutdown, Posner (and all other artists previously signed to these three labels) will release his future material on the RCA Records brand.
2011–present: Sky High 
"Looks Like Sex", the first single of Posner's upcoming album titled Sky High, was released on December 2, 2011. His second single will be "The Way It Used to Be", and it will be released in May of 2013. He also co-wrote and provided vocals for X-Factor contestant Cher Lloyd's second single "With Ur Love", which reached number 4 on the UK Single Chart. Posner co-produced and co-wrote singer Justin Bieber's Billboard Hot 100 number 2 single, "Boyfriend" and has also been working on Labrinth's album.
Studio albums 
- A Matter of Time (2009)
- One Foot Out the Door (2009)
- The Layover (2011)
Writing Discography 
|Big Sean||Finally Famous||"Don't Tell Me You Love Me"||Def Jam||Writer|
|Justin Bieber||Believe||"Boyfriend"||Island Records||Producer, Writer|
|2 Chainz||Based on a T.R.U. Story||"In Town"||Def Jam||Producer, Writer, Artist|
|Wiz Khalifa / Snoop Dogg||Mac & Devin Go to High School||"French Inhale"||Atlantic Records||Writer, Artist|
|Labrinth||Electronic Earth||"Beneath Your Beautiful"||Syco Music / Sony Music||Producer, Writer|
|Travis Porter||From Day 1||"That Feeling"||RCA Records||Writer, Artist|
|Big Time Rush||Elevate||"Windows Down"||Columbia Records||Writer|
|Austin Mahone||-||"Say Somethin"||Universal Republic Records||Writer|
- For Posner's full name, see "Rapid Fire Questions". Vevo. September 10, 2010.
- Leahey, Andrew. "Mike Posner Overview - Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- McCollum, Brian (July 29, 2010). "Groves graduate and was very good friends with me (later mentioned in one of his and pop star Mike Posner heads to the D for the Warped Tour)". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved August 20, 2010.[dead link]
- Bringing it all back home
- Z (February 16, 2010). "Mike Posner Interview". DJBooth.net.
- Copeland, Rod (December 6, 2006). "Fly for a White Guy". The Chronicle (Duke).
- "3 Questions with Rising Music Star Mike Posner". Coed. December 8, 2009. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Williams, Nick (April 22, 2010). "Mike Posner’s meteoric rise to stardom". Vox. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- "Interview With Daniel Weisman (part 2)". HitQuarters. November 28, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Invalid Friend ID". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.[dead link]
- "The Music Industry's Leading A&R Site". Crazed Hits. 2009-07-23. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Creswell, Julie (August 23, 2000). "Turning Music Into Dollars at Sony/ATV". The New York Times.
- "Watch now: Get to know Mike Posner | The Volume | Time Out New York". .timeoutny.com. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "The Brain Child � Mike Posner | The Chronicle". Dukechronicle.com. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Christman, Ed (August 23, 2011). "RCA's New Executive Team Named Under CEO Peter Edge Amid Layoffs (Update)". Billboard. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Unveiling The New Look RCA Records". FMQB. August 23, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "Mike Posner Track As New Single". MTV UK. September 16, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (May 15, 2012). "Mike Posner interview: 'Cher Lloyd is an incredible singer'". Digital Spy. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "The Hip Hop Update". Retrieved 2011-08-29.