|Mayor of Cebu City|
June 30, 2010
|Preceded by||Tomas Osmeña|
|Born||Michael Lopez Rama
October 28, 1954
Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
|Political party||BO-PK (1992–2011)
|Relations||Annabelle Rama (cousin)|
|Profession||HRD Manager, Lawyer and Politician|
Michael "Mike" Lopez Rama (born October 28, 1954) is a Filipino politician in the Philippines currently serving as Mayor of Cebu City. Prior to his mayoral term, he has also served as Vice Mayor of Cebu City from 2001 to 2010.
Rama is the son of the late Fernando Rama. and Natividada Lopez, the grandson of former Senator Vicente Rama. He graduated as valedictorian, Basak Elementary School, Basak San Nicolas in Cebu City. He attended the University of Southern Philippines and earned a pre-med degree from Velez College, Cebu City. He went on for further graduate studies in Law at the San Beda College in Manila. Rama passed the bar exam in 1983.
Rama started his political career as Councilor of Cebu City for three successive terms from 1992 to 2001, filling in the slot of his uncle, Clemente "Cle" Rama, a veteran councilor, and leading the Committee on Education. During his third term, he became the No. 1 Councilor that made him often assume the role as Acting Vice Mayor and even as Acting Mayor. Also during his third term, he served as National President of the Philippine Councilors League (PCL).
On May 12, 2010, he was proclaimed as the duly elected Mayor of Cebu City for the term 2010 to 2013.
During the 2010 campaign, candidate James Philip Tiongko characterized Rama as “public enemy number one” and accused him of protecting a suspected drug dealer. In response, Rama filed a libel complaint against Tiongko. Rama was also accused by Jonathan Guardo of using government employees as campaign workers in violation of the law, although there was some question as to whether the ban covered "casual" and temporary workers. In response to the accusations, Rama issued an order prohibiting participation of Cebu city hall workers from participating in campaign events.
- "?". Retrieved ?. Check date values in:
- "Mike Rama’s 3 Big B’s for Cebu City". Cebu Daily News. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Fe Marie D. Dumaboc (2010-05-13). "BOPK shuts out Kusug in all city electoral races". Cebu Daily News (Inquirer). Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Ador Vincent Mayol, Fe Marie D. Dumaboc (2010-04-29). "Rama files libel against council bet". Cebu Daily News (Inquirer). Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Rene U. Borromeo (April 22, 2010). "Ex-CJ Davide on campaigning: Ban covers all government workers". The Freeman (Philstar). Retrieved 2010-05-15.