Mike Ripley was born in 1952 and is the British author of the award-winning ‘Angel’ series of comedy thrillers as well as a critic and arcaeologist.
Life and work
Ripley is the author of the Angel series of comedy thrillers set mainly in Essex and London's East End. He won the Crime Writers' Association 'Last Laugh Award' for best humorous crime novel for 'Angel Touch' in 1989 and 'Angels In Arms' in 1991.
He was also a scriptwriter for the fifth series of the BBC comedy-drama Lovejoy (1986–94), starring Ian McShane, and served as The Daily Telegraph's crime fiction critic for ten years. In 2003 at the age of fifty he suffered a stroke; his 2006 book, Surviving a Stroke, is his autobiographical account of his recovery. After twenty years of working in London he moved to East Anglia and became an archaeologist. In the words of his publisher, "he was thus one of the few crime writers who regularly turned up real bodies".
He currently writes the "Getting Away With Murder" column for the online publication Shots. The inspiration for the column came after a night of drinking gin with Auberon Waugh and Gore Vidal in London. He is the series editor at Ostara Publishing, which specialises in reprinting classic mysteries and thrillers, and was co-editor of the three Fresh Blood anthologies promoting new British crime writing. He also lectures on crime writing at the University of Cambridge.
In 2007 he was made a Patron of the Essex Book Festival and ran his Creative Crime Writing course at the Lavenham Literary Festivals in 2009 and 2013. Working with the Margery Allingham Society he has completed the Albert Campion novel left unfinished on the death of Allingham's widower, Philip Youngman Carter in 1969. Mr Campion's Farewell is due for publication in March/April 2014.
Fitzroy Maclean Angel series
- Just Another Angel (1988)
- Angel Touch (1989)
- Angel Hunt (1990)
- Angels in Arms (1991)
- Angel City (1994)
- Angel Confidential (1995)
- Family Of Angels (1996)
- That Angel Look (1997)
- Bootlegged Angel (1999)
- Lights, Camera, Angel (2001)
- Angel Underground (2002)
- Angel on the Inside (2003)
- Angel In The House (2005)
- Angel's Share (2006)
- Angels Unaware (2008)
- Double Take (2002)
- Boudica and the Lost Roman (2005)
- The Legend of Hereward the Wake (2007)
- Mr Campion's Farewell (after P. Youngman Carter) (2014)
- Surviving a Stroke (2006)
- "Contributors > Mike Ripley". Shotsmag.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "The CWA Last Laugh Dagger". Thecwa.co.uk. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Onatade, Ayo (2012-08-25). "SHOTSMAG CONFIDENTIAL: Mike Ripley's Book To Die For - SS-GB by Len Deighton". Hotsmagcouk.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Stroke in Younger People (PDF). Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland. 02 2009. p. 34. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Mike Ripley at Alison & Busby". http://www.allisonandbusby.com. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- Karen Meek. "Review - The Dead of Winter by Rennie Airth". Eurocrime.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Shot's "Getting Away with Murder" columnist, Mike Ripley". Gore Vidal Pages. 2009-12-13. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "crimetime.co.uk". crimetime.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-21.