Mike Smith (linebacker)
Smith with the Ravens in 2006.
September 2, 1981 |
|Alma mater||Texas Tech University|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
New York Jets (intern)
New York Jets (LBs)
Texas Tech (co-DC/LBs/DL)
Texas Tech (Interim DC)
Michael Lee Smith (born September 2, 1981) is the defensive line coach and co-defensive coordinator at Texas Tech University. A retired American football linebacker, he played for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League and Texas Tech at the collegiate level. He was drafted by the Ravens in the seventh round of the 2005 NFL Draft.
Smith played college football at the linebacker position for Texas Tech. In 2001, he was named All-Big 12 Honorable Mention and All-Big 12 Freshman Team. During his time there, he started in 45 games and is one of only five other Red Raider players to play in 50 games. He graduated in 2004 with a degree in communication studies.
Smith was originally signed by the Baltimore Ravens in the seventh round (234th overall) in the 2005 NFL Draft. In his rookie year he played in six games recording three tackles. He made his NFL debut on October 31 at the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2006, he played in eight games again recording three tackles. Smith made his first career start against the Tennessee Titans on November 12, 2006 in place of the injured Ray Lewis. On the first play of the game, the Ravens blitzed. Smith was cut by Titans' center Kevin Mawae and fell onto his left shoulder. He suffered a torn labrum, rotator cuff, biceps tendon and dislocated the shoulder. Over the course of the following year and a half, Smith underwent surgery four times to correct his injuries. He received an injury settlement from the Ravens on July 18, 2008 and was released.
Smith served as the linebackers coach at the University of Hawaii for one year. He joined the Jets prior to the start of the season as an intern. Linebacker Aaron Maybin has credited Smith for rejuvenating his career.
Smith was hired by Washington State head coach Mike Leach on December 13, 2011, to serve as the team's linebackers coach. However, Smith elected to stay with the Jets after being promoted to the outside linebackers coach position. Smith received an offer from West Virginia University where he was said to have the opportunity to coach the linebackers in addition to having co-coordinator responsibilities, which he accepted. After discovering that the job did not entail the responsibilities he had thought would be provided, he returned to the Jets.
In late December 2012, Smith was hired to be the co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. He reunited with former teammate Kliff Kingsbury, who became the team's head coach earlier the same month. Smith was promoted to the full defensive coordinator position following the resignation of Matt Wallerstedt.
- "Mike Smith Profile". Texas Tech University. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (December 10, 2011). "NY Jets intern Mike Smith has helped Aaron Maybin become sack monster once again for Rex Ryan's defense". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on December 10, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Mike Smith". Rotoworld. Archived from the original on December 10, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Leach going to NFL ranks for LB coach?". Cougfan.com. December 13, 2011. Archived from the original on December 14, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- Vrentas, Jenny (10 January 2012). "Jets begin to make changes to coaching staff". The Star Ledger. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (17 January 2012). "Sources: Todd Haley unlikely to join the Jets' staff; OLBs coach Mike Smith accepts position at West Virginia". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 2 February 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (2 February 2012). "Sources: Mike Smith returns to Jets as outside linebackers coach". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 2 February 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (22 December 2012). "NY Jets outside linebackers coach Mike Smith to leave for Texas Tech after season: sources". New York Daily News. Retrieved 24 December 2012.