Mike Williamson (footballer)
Williamson playing for Newcastle United in 2010
|Full name||Michael James Williamson|
|Date of birth||8 November 1983|
|Place of birth||Stoke-on-Trent, England|
|Height||1.94 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2003||→ Torquay United (loan)||11||(0)|
|2004||→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:16, 15 December 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Michael James "Mike" Williamson (born 8 November 1983) is an English footballer who plays for Premier League club Newcastle United as a defender. He signed for Newcastle from Portsmouth on 27 January 2010.
Born in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, Williamson signed for Southampton from Torquay United for a fee believed to be in the region of £100,000 in November 2001. He played six first team games for Torquay before joining Southampton. However, Williamson was unable to get into the first team at Southampton. He returned to Plainmoor on loan for two months in September 2003, where he made eleven further appearances. A further loan spell at Doncaster Rovers—then Third Division leaders—followed on transfer deadline day in March 2004, although he did not feature for the South Yorkshire club.
Wycombe Wanderers manager Tony Adams secured Williamson's services on a season long loan in July 2004, a move that was made permanent at the end of the 2004–05 season. Williamson made the number 6 shirt his own since the start of the 2005–06 season. In total, he made 144 league appearances for Wycombe, scoring 11 league goals during his time at the club.
After a few consistent seasons he signed for Watford on 26 January 2009 for an undisclosed fee, signing a three-and-a-half-year contract. He handed in a transfer request on 27 August 2009, declaring himself unfit for the away game at Swansea City on the Saturday and not travelling with the squad. 
On 1 September 2009, Watford accepted a £2 million offer potentially rising to £3 million from Premier League team Portsmouth. He made no appearances for the club, as if he made any appearance for the club they would have to pay Watford more in transfer fees and due to Portsmouth's financial troubles they could not afford it.
On 27 January 2010, Newcastle United completed a deal for Williamson for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut on 27 January 2010 at St James' Park in a 2–0 win over Crystal Palace, in which he played the full 90 minutes and won the Man of the Match award in the process. On 28 January it was revealed that he was initially signed on an emergency loan deal in order for him to play the previous day, with the deal then finalised and Williamson signing a three-and-a-half-year contract. On 3 December 2010, Williamson signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract extension with the club, which runs to 2016. For the remainder of the season, he formed a reliable partnership with Fabricio Coloccini in the absence of the injured Steven Taylor.
With Newcastle's return to the Premier League, Williamson continued to be Coloccini's first-choice partner and managed to keep Taylor on the bench until an injury ended his run in the starting eleven. He made his comeback against Sunderland in the second matchday of the 2011–12 season but was ruled out again with consecutive arm and ankle injuries.
- As of 17 December 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Torquay United||2001–02||Third Division||5||0||0||0||0||0||1[a]||0||6||0|
|Torquay United (loan)||2003–04||Third Division||11||0||0||0||0||0||1[a]||0||12||0|
|Wycombe Wanderers||2004–05||League Two||37||2||2||0||0||0||2[a]||0||41||2|
- Hugman, Barry J. (2005). The PFA Premier & Football League Players' Records 1946–2005. Queen Anne Press. p. 665. ISBN 1-85291-665-6.
- "Premier League Player Profile". Premier League. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Saints seal Williamson deal". BBC Sport. 24 November 2001. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Player profiles:Mike Williamson". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- "Watford sign defender Williamson". BBC Sport. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Former Wycombe Wanderers and Southampton defender Mike Williamson asks to leave following Portsmouth approach". Watford Observer. 27 August 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Williamson seals Pompey transfer". BBC Sport. 1 September 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Portsmouth defender Williamson seals Newcastle switch". BBC Sport. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Newcastle 2–0 Crystal Palace". BBC Sport. 27 January 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Breaking News: Williamson Transfer Finalised". Newcastle United F.C. 28 January 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Williamson Agrees Long-Term Deal". Newcastle United F.C. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- "Mike Williamson suffers fresh injury problems". Evening Chronicle (Newcastle upon Tyne). 10 November 2011.
- Taylor, Louise (30 August 2014). "Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha scores last-gasp equaliser at Newcastle". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Mike Williamson". Soccerbase.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Williamson.|
- Mike Williamson profile at Newcastle United F.C.
- Mike Williamson career stats at Soccerbase
- Mike Williamson profile at Soccerway