October 29, 1976 |
Norman, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Central Oklahoma|
|Spouse(s)||David Cornue (2003-present)|
Milena Govich (Serbian: Милена Говић; born October 29, 1976) is an American actress, singer, dancer, and musician, best known for portraying Detective Nina Cassady on the television series Law & Order.
Early life and education
Govich was born in Norman, Cleveland County, Oklahoma. Both of her parents, Dr. Bruce Michael Govich, who died in 1998, and Dr. Marilyn Green Govich, are professors of music: Bruce worked at University of Oklahoma and Marilyn currently works at the University of Central Oklahoma. Her father was Serbian and her mother is of Scottish and English ancestry. Her aunt, Milica Govich, is also an actress who has appeared on Broadway, television, and film.
Milena graduated from high school as valedictorian of her class. She followed her academic parents by graduating from the University of Central Oklahoma, once again graduating valedictorian with a double-degree in performance and pre-medical studies, and a minor in dance and violin. After graduation, Govich moved to New York City to pursue an acting career.
Govich has appeared on Broadway in the musical revival of Cabaret, joining the 1998–2004 production in December 2000. She began in the role of Lulu, featuring her singing, dancing, and playing violin, and was the understudy and eventual replacement for the lead role, Sally Bowles. Govich also performed on Broadway in the 2002 musical revival of The Boys from Syracuse and in the musical Good Vibrations. She starred as Millie in the first regional production of Thoroughly Modern Millie. In July 2012, Govich starred in the title role of Sweet Charity at The Lyric Theatre.
On television, Govich first gained national attention in the United States as Gabby in the pilot episode of CBS's Love Monkey, then as the prostitute/con-artist Candy on Rescue Me. She also starred in the Dick Wolf series Conviction and then starred on the Dick Wolf series Law & Order. She has been featured or recurred on numerous other television shows: as New Orleans District Attorney Lyndsey Swann in the 20th Century Fox Television show K-Ville; as Assistant District Attorney Tracy Hunt on the new CBS TV series The Defenders; and as Regina Turner on Make It or Break It.
Govich has also appeared in several movies, including 2004's Bad Behavior, 2006's In Love, 2009's Sordid Things, 2011's A Novel Romance, starring opposite Steve Guttenberg, and the upcoming feature Lucky N#mbr, starring opposite Method Man.
Law & Order
Govich played the part of Jessica Rossi on the short-lived 2006 NBC legal drama Conviction, created by Dick Wolf. The day after that show was cancelled, Dick Wolf invited her to join the cast of Law & Order for the seventeenth-season, which premiered on September 22, 2006. Govich played Det. Nina Cassady, who joined the cast as the junior partner when Jesse L. Martin's character, Det. Ed Green, was elevated to senior partner upon the retirement of Det. Joe Fontana, who was portrayed by Dennis Farina. Govich guest-starred on the Law & Order episode "Flaw" (Season 16, Episode 2) in 2005, joining a list of Law & Order cast regulars who did the same before having a starring role in the series. Reuters reported on June 1, 2007 that Govich would be replaced by Jeremy Sisto, marking the end of the program's only female detective. Govich said she was liked by police officers who thought Nina Cassady was a good character.
On October 10, 2008, Govich sang the U.S. national anthem at the New Jersey Devils home opener at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. She has also appeared twice on tour as the guest performer with China's biggest pop star, Fei Xiang.
|2004||Bad Behavior||Alex||Short film|
|2006||In Love||Maxine||Short film|
|2006||East Side Story||Sara||Short film|
|2009||Sordid Things||Helen Little|
|2011||Novel Romance, AA Novel Romance||Jenny Sparks|
|2013||Pass the Light||Anne||Post-production|
|2005||Law & Order||Geneva||Episode: "Flaw"|
|2005–2009||Rescue Me||Candy||Recurring role (16 episodes)|
|2006||Love Monkey||Gabby||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2006||Conviction||A.D.A. Jessica Rossi||Main role (13 episodes)|
|2006–2007||Law & Order||Det. Nina Cassady||Main role (22 episodes)|
|2007||K-Ville||D.A. Lyndsey Swann||Episodes: "Cobb's Webb", "Bedfellows", "Melissa", "Boulet in a China Shop"|
|2009||Psych||Morgan Conrad||Episode: "Earth, Wind and... Wait for It"|
|2010||Defenders, TheThe Defenders||ADA Tracy Hunt||Episodes: "Nevada v. Cerrato", "Nevada v. Rodgers"|
|2011||Body of Proof||Mindy Harbinson||Episode: "Dead Man Walking"|
|2012||Make It or Break It||Regina Turner||Episodes: "Dream On", "United States"|
|2014||The Mentalist||Molly||Episode: "Grey Water"|
|2014||Finding Carter||Lori Stevens||Recurring Character|
- "Her parents, University of Central Oklahoma professor Marilyn Govich and the late University of Oklahoma professor Bruce Govich, were both performers and voice teachers, and they exposed their daughter to arts at an early age. Milena and her younger brothers, Mateja and Nikola, would frequently be in the house when her parents' doctoral voice students would show up for lessons."
- Milica Govich - IMDb
- "Govich double-majored in performance and a premedical track at UCO, with minors in dance and violin. In 1997, two years before she graduated, she joined the Lyric Theatre ensemble, where she appeared in “Man of La Mancha” - her mother performed in a 1971 Lyric production of the same play."
- "Milena Govich's professional bio". Newcoreproductions.com. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- Milena Govich, School of Music
- The Broadway League. "Milena Govich | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "A Dancer’s Dream Musical | ionOKLAHOMA Online Magazine". Ionok.com. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- Milena Govich at the Internet Broadway Database
- "MTV Orders Family Drama Series From ‘Lizzie McGuire’ Creator". Variety. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- Interview with Milena Govich admin under actors, interviews. "Rambling On » Blog Archive » Interview with Milena Govich". Anthonycardno.com. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2007-06-01). "Sisto flashing Law badge | Entertainment". Reuters. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "She is married to David Cornue, a writer/composer, and is proud to talk about his musical “Smoking Bloomberg” which was selected for performance at the New York Music Theater Festival. Married nearly four years, they live in a small studio apartment, barely 400 square feet (37 m2)."[dead link]
- David Cornue - IMDb