|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (March 2012)|
|Founding location||Uruapan, Michoacán, Mexico|
|Territory||Mexico : Michoacán, Colima, Jalisco, Mexico City, Puebla, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas
United States : California, Oregon, Texas, Illinois, North Carolina, Maryland
|Criminal activities||Drug trafficking, money laundering, murder and arms trafficking.|
|Rivals||Sinaloa Cartel, Gulf Cartel, Knights Templar Cartel, Jalisco New Generation Cartel |
The group splintered from the Sinaloa Cartel in 1999 and reached a working agreement with La Familia Michoacana, but when la Familia was disbanded in 2011, the Milenio Cartel relocated to Guadalajara and forged an alliance with Los Zetas Cartel.
Luis Valencia Valencia took control of the cartel after the arrest of Armando Valencia Cornelio on August 15, 2003. The cartel operates in at least six Mexican states: Michoacán, Colima, Jalisco, Mexico City, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas, where it produces marijuana and heroin. Another relative and close associate is Oscar Nava Valencia.
On October 28, 2009, Oscar Nava Valencia (El Lobo) was captured after a gun battle with Mexican Army troops in the municipality of Tlajomulco de Zuniga, Jalisco. Oscar Nava and his brother, Juan Nava Valencia were responsible for the planning and smuggling of cocaine shipments from South and Central America to the port of Manzanillo, Colima from where it was smuggled into the United States.
After the arrest of Oscar Nava Valencia, his brother Juan Nava Valencia took over the leadership of the Milenio Cartel until May 6, 2010 when he was arrested in Guadalajara during an operation by the Mexican Army.
On January 29, 2011, Oscar Nava Valencia was extradited to the United States to face charges of conspiracy and drug trafficking in the Southern District of Texas.
- "Decomiso récord de metanfetaminas en México: golpe ’histórico’ a narcos". ABC Digital (in Spanish). February 10, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "El narco en México recurre a violencia sin precedentes: ONU". El Informador (in Spanish). February 29, 2012. Retrieved March 8, 2012. "Se trató de una venganza de la alianza del cártel del Milenio y "Los Zetas", en contra de los llamados Matazetas o del cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación."
- "La Familia: Another Deadly Mexican Syndicate". Zimbio. February 19, 2009. Retrieved September 19, 2010.
- "Templarios dominan Michoacán, donde habrá elecciones el día 13". Excelsior (in Spanish) (Excelsior). November 2, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- "Surgieron cuatro grupos del narco en 2011; el chapo es el mas poderoso". Narcotrafico en Mexico (in Spanish). August 7, 2011. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "Milenio Cartel Drug Lord Sentenced to 47 Years in a Mexican Prison". Hispanic News Network. February 8, 2010. Retrieved September 19, 2010.
- ""El Lobo" extradited to the U.S.". Borderland Beat. Retrieved January 30, 2011.