Teller at the Deauville Film Festival, September 2014
|Born||Miles Alexander Teller
February 20, 1987
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||Tisch School of the Arts|
Miles Alexander Teller (born February 20, 1987) is an American actor and musician. After graduating from New York University's Tisch School of Arts, he made his feature film debut in Rabbit Hole (2010). Since then he has shown his comedic and dancing abilities in Footloose (2011), Project X (2012), That Awkward Moment (2014). He has also had the lead roles in critically acclaimed films The Spectacular Now (2013) and Whiplash (2014). He will star in the upcoming biopic Bleed for This (2015), as boxer Vinny Paz. Teller received commercial success for portraying Peter Hayes in the The Divergent Series based on the best-selling series of novels. He will appear as Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic in the upcoming film Fantastic Four (2015).
Early life and education
Teller was born in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, the son of Merry (née Flowers), a real estate agent, and Mike Teller, a nuclear plant engineer. His parents are from Carneys Point, New Jersey. He has two older sisters. His paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish descent, while his other ancestry is English, Irish, Polish, and French.
He lived in several places as a child, because of his father's career, spending time in Citrus County, Florida, after moving from Cape May, New Jersey. Teller attended Lecanto High School where he played the saxophone, was a drummer for a church youth group band, and was president of the drama club. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Tisch School of the Arts at New York University. He was in a near-fatal car accident in 2007, leaving him with multiple scars on his face and neck.
Before making his feature film debut Teller appeared in many short films. After graduating from Tisch School of Arts in 2009, he made his debut in 2010's Rabbit Hole, after Nicole Kidman handpicked him for the role. Teller appeared in the stage musical Footloose in high school. Years later, he was cast in the film remake of Footloose (2011) starring Kenny Wormald, in which he played the same character as in his high school musical.
In 2013, he starred in 21 & Over, written and directed by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. That year, he began reaching critical success after starring in the James Ponsoldt film, The Spectacular Now, for which he won the Dramatic Special Jury Award for Acting at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, with co-star Shailene Woodley.
Also in 2013, he appeared in an in-depth interview and photo shoot in Hero magazine. In 2014, he co-starred in the comedy That Awkward Moment, alongside Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan, appeared in the science fiction film Divergent, co-starring again with Shailene Woodley, and starred as a drummer in the well-reviewed drama Whiplash (2014), which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and opened in theaters in October 2014. Whiplash won Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Supporting Actor for J.K. Simmons, and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture at the 87th Academy Awards.
In January 2014, Teller was cast to portray Dan Aykroyd in Steven Conrad's untitled John Belushi biopic. In February 2014, he was cast in a new film version of the Fantastic Four as Mister Fantastic. He will star alongside Jamie Bell, Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara. He will star in the upcoming film Bleed for This (2015) with Aaron Eckhart and Katey Sagal, as boxer Vinny Paz. In February 2015, it was announced that Teller would join Jonah Hill in the Todd Phillips directed film Arms and the Dudes (2016).
As of February 2015, Teller is dating model Keleigh Sperry.
|2007||A Very Specific Recipe||Lee||Short film|
|2008||The Musicians||Miguel||Short film|
|2009||The Unusuals||James Boorland||TV series (Episode: "Boorland Day")|
|2010||The Track Meet||Andrew||Short film|
|2013||21 & Over||Miller|
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Sutter Keeley|
|2014||That Awkward Moment||Daniel|
|2014||Whiplash||Andrew Neiman||Nominated—Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Actor
|2014||Two Night Stand||Alec|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Peter|
|2015||Fantastic Four||Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic||Post-production|
|2015||Get a Job||Will Davis|
|2015||Bleed for This||Vinny Pazienza||Filming|
|2016||Arms and the Dudes||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Sundance Film Festival||Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Acting||The Spectacular Now||Won|
|2013||Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Alliance of Women Journalists Award for Best Depiction of Nudity, Sexuality, or Seduction||The Spectacular Now||Nominated|
|2013||Indiana Film Critics Association||Indiana Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor||The Spectacular Now||Nominated|
|2014||MTV Movie Awards||MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss (shared with Shailene Woodley)||The Spectacular Now||Nominated|
|2014||MTV Movie Awards||MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance||The Spectacular Now||Nominated|
|2014||Gotham Independent Film Awards||Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor||Whiplash||Nominated|
|2015||BAFTA||BAFTA's Rising Star||Nominated|
|2015||Satellite Awards||Satellite Award for Best Actor||Whiplash||Nominated|
- "Miles Alexander Teller Voting Record". Find The Data. Florida Department of State. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Miles Teller on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Miles Teller on his Breakout 'Whiplash' Role and Blushing for Nicole Kidman". Variety.
- Swanson, Carl. "Miles Teller on Awkward, Fame, and Efron". Vulture. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Rabbit Hole presskit" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Michael Williams/Today's Sunbeam (2011-11-01). "Man with local ties on ABC show Wednesday". NJ.com. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- Greco, Patti (August 27, 2013). "Miles Teller on The Spectacular Now, Moonwalking, and the Divergent–Hunger Games Comparisons". Vulture.cocm. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Miller, Gerri. "Hollywood Now: That Awkward Moment, Labor Day, Somewhere Slow". InterfaithFamily. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- follers (1987-02-20). "Miles Teller profile at". Ethnicelebs.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Dailey, Jennifer (April 14, 2009). Man with local ties on ABC show Wednesday, NJ.com; accessed March 17, 2014.
- Connor, Katie L. (August 30, 2013). "Unexpected Crush Alert: Miles Teller". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Morris, Alex (2 December 2014). "How Miles Teller Drummed His Way to the Top". Vulture. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Swanson, Carl (2 February 2014). "Nobody’s Stalking Miles Teller: The Sundance Breakout on That Awkward Moment, Fame, and Getting Out of Florida". Vulture. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (November 8, 2010). Miles Teller on Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Cutting Footloose. Movieline
- Durbin, Jonathan (2011). Miles Teller. Interview
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (May 26, 2011). Miles Teller Joins Relativity's '21 and Over.' The Wrap
- Hynes, Eric; Jeremy Kinser; Nate von Zumwalt (January 26, 2013). "2013 Sundance Film Festival Awards Updates". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "HERO — HERO 9: Suburban Heat (English)".
- Gilchrist, Todd (November 6, 2013). "'Divergent' Star Miles Teller Had Fun Being A Jerk To Shailene Woodley". Forbes. Forbes publishing. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Gleiberman, Owen (January 17, 2014). "Sundance: 'Whiplash' is the movie that could make Miles Teller a star". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "Academy Awards 2015: Complete list of Oscar nominees and winners". LA Times. 22 February 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Denham, Jess (7 January 2015). "Baftas 2015: Jack O'Connell, Margot Robbie and Shailene Woodley among rising star nominees". The Independent. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Williams-Shaw, H (1 year ago). "‘Divergent’ Sequels Get Release Dates; Director Neil Burger Not Returning". Screenrant. Retrieved 21 March 2015. Check date values in:
- Kit, Borys (January 18, 2014). "Miles Teller to Play Dan Aykroyd in Belushi Biopic, Says Star Emile Hirsch". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (February 19, 2014). "'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'What's the Deal?': Jeff Sneider on 'Fantastic Four' Casting, Fan Expectations (Video)". The Wrap. 21 February 2014.
- "Aaron Eckhart, Miles Teller Board Vinnie Pazienza Boxing Biopic". Variety (magazine). 3 February 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (12 February 2015). "‘Whiplash’ Star Miles Teller Joins Jonah Hill In ‘Arms And The Dudes’". Deadline.com. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Mike Vulpo (February 22, 2015). "Miles Teller Grabs Everyone's Attention When He Brings Beautiful Girlfriend Keleigh Sperry to the Oscars". E!. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miles Teller.|