Military Institute of Science and Technology
|Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST)|
|মিলিটারি ইন্সটিটিউট অফ সায়েন্স অ্যান্ড টেকনোলজি|
|Motto||Technology for Advancement|
|Chairman||Honourable Minister of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh|
|Rector||Major General Md Siddiqur Rahman Sarker (Commandant)|
|Dean||Brig Gen Habibur Rahman Kamal|
|Campus||Urban, 50 Acres.|
|Affiliations||Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP)|
Military Institute of Science and Technology (Bengali: মিলিটারি ইন্সটিটিউট অফ সায়েন্স অ্যান্ড টেকনোলজি ) commonly known as MIST is an advanced engineering institution of Bangladesh. It is the pioneer institution of Bangladesh Armed Forces for engineering education. Currently it is under the affiliation of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), a university governed by the Armed Forces of Bangladesh. MIST and other 9 institutes are now under BUP.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Aim of MIST
- 4 Objectives
- 5 Code of conduct
- 6 Student's Dress
- 7 Affiliation
- 8 Procedure of admission
- 9 Academics
- 10 Undergraduate Acceptance
- 11 Post Graduate Acceptance
- 12 Laboratory Facilities
- 13 Central Library
- 14 MIST Journals & Magazines
- 15 Halls Of Residence
- 16 Teacher's Quarters
- 17 Facilities & Services
- 18 Students Organizations
- 19 Achievements
- 20 References
- 21 External links
MIST came into existence on 19 April 1998. Academic programs were launched on 31 January 1999 with the maiden batch of Civil Engineering (CE). Though the pioneer batches comprised only military students (session 2001–2002), civil students (both male and female) were admitted to various disciplines from the session 2002–2003. At present most of the students are civil.
MIST is located at Mirpur Cantonment, on the northwest edge of Dhaka City. Students' hall and teachers' quarters are at the last end of the campus. The academic buildings of MIST are on 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land. This area is confined with officers' mess, four tower building (one is completed, known as Tower Building-1 and a second one is in under construction), cafeteria, library,two vast fields for the civil students, medical center, physical center and administrative buildings. Halls for students and teachers are situated outside the campus. Recently more land was issued for the campus for residential accommodation.
Aim of MIST
The aim of MIST is to conduct undergraduate, post graduate/Masters (M.Sc. Engg./ M. Engg.) and Ph.D. program on various disciplines of engineering.
- To establish a prestigious academic institute for studies in different fields of engineering and technology for military personnel and civil officials/ students of home and abroad at degree and post graduate levels.
- To organize courses on military science, technology and management in various arenas of interest.
- To hold examinations and confer certificates of diplomas/degrees, other academic distinctions, to and on persons who have persuaded a course of study and have passed examinations conducted by the institute.
- To confer research degrees, award fellowship, scholarship, exhibition, prizes, medals and honorary degrees to persons who have carried out research works under conditions as prescribed in the MIST regulations.
- To establish teaching Divisions (Div), Departments (Dept), Centers, Faculties etc. and to make necessary arrangements for their maintenance/management/administration.
- To make provisions for advisory, research and consultation service including supervision, material testing and to enter into suitable agreement with any persons/organizations for this purpose.
- To co-operate with Universities/ Technical Institutions (both military and civil) including memorandum of understanding (MOU) at home and abroad, in the manner and purpose as the institute may determine.
- To do such other acts, related to above-mentioned objectives, as may be required in order to expand the objectives of the institute.
Code of conduct
During their stay in MIST all students are required to abide by the existing rules, regulations and code of conduct. Students are strictly forbidden to form or be members of any student organization or political party, club, society etc, other than those set up by MIST authority in order to enhance students' physical, intellectual, moral and ethical development.
Civil students are to wear dress with displayed identity card as per 'Dress Code' prescribed by MIST authority. Military students put on uniform as per Dress Regulation of respective services.
All academic programs of MIST are affiliated with the Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP). BUP was established as the 30th public university of Bangladesh on 5 Jun 2008. Ten colleges/academies/institutions are affiliated to BUP including National Defence College (NDC), Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), etc. All examinations are conducted as per the schedule approved by the same university. BUP also approves the results and awards certificates to the qualified students.
Procedure of admission
The undergraduate admission process at MIST has several steps. First, students are screened based on their grade point average (GPA) in HSC or equivalent examinations. Every year, 2,000–2,500 candidates are short-listed from approximately 10,000 applicants to sit for the admission test. Besides the admission test, SSC and HSC results are taken into consideration while evaluating candidates. Students who have passed in minimum five subjects in GCE O-Level and three subjects (mathematics, physics and chemistry) in A-Level, obtaining minimum C-grades in all subjects are also eligible for the admission test. In 2013, MIST had an intake of 355 students including 291 civil and 64 military students  in its six departments.
Foreign students may be admitted against a reserved quota of 3% of overall vacancies available (6% of civil seats). Vacancies will be offered to countries through Armed Forces Division (AFD), Prime Minister’s Office, of the Government of Bangladesh.
Admission to Ph.D. and M.Phil programs requires a Masters degree from relevant branch from a recognized university. Admission to a Master's program requires a Bachelor's degree in engineering from a recognized institution. Admission is based on Written admission test & Interview/Viva on the relevant departments. Admission is highly competitive in Master's programs.
Academic activities are undertaken by eleven departments. 10 departments offer undergraduate programs, four department offers post graduate program. Eleven departments are :
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical, Electronic & Communication Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Aeronautical Engineering
- Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Science & Engineering
- Department of Environmental, Water Resources & Coastal Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Science & Humanities
Undergraduate Programs leading to B.Sc. Engineering degrees in the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (CE)
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Electrical, Electronic & Communication Engineering (EECE)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Aeronautical Engineering (AE) in two disciplines:
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (NAME)
- Nuclear Science & Engineering
- Environmental, Water Resources & Coastal Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
Post Graduate Acceptance
Post graduate courses are M.Sc Engg. (Masters of Science in Engineering) & M. Engg (Masters of Engineering). Three of the departments are now offering Ph.D. and other three departments offering M.Phil degree. M.Sc Engg and M. Engg are offered for:
- Electrical, Electronics & Communication Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Civil Engineering [Structure/Transportation/Environment/Water Resource] (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Mechanical Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Computer Science & Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg.)
M.Phil degrees are now offered for:
- Certificate Course on GIS and Remote Sensing
- Diploma courses in surveying & mapping
- Diploma & Certificate courses in CSE.
- Professional advance courses.
Each department is equipped with modern lab facilities. The various laboratories available under each dept are given below:
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Geo-technical Engineering Lab
- Structural Mechanics Lab
- Concrete Lab
- Transportation Engineering Lab
- Water Resource Engineering Lab
- Survey & Mapping Lab
- Estimating & Drawing Shop
- Network Laboratory
- Software Engineering Laboratory
- Artificial Intelligence and VLSI Laboratory
- Micro Processor and Micro Controller Laboratory
- Digital Laboratory
- Interfacing Laboratory
- Image Processing Laboratory
- Multimedia and Graphics Laboratory
- Electrical Circuit Laboratory
- Electrical Circuit Simulation Laboratory
- Computer Programming Laboratory
- Electrical Machine Laboratory
- Power System Laboratory
- Electronics & Digital Electronics Laboratory
- Electronics Circuit Simulation Laboratory
- Power Electronics Laboratory
- Instrumentation & Measurement Laboratory
- Communication Laboratory
- Digital Signal Processing Laboratory
- Microprocessor and interfacing Laboratory
- Control System Laboratory
- Switch Gear & Protection Laboratory
- VLSI Laboratory
- Digital Communication Laboratory
- Power System Protection Laboratory
- Microwave Engineering Laboratory
- Numerical Methods Laboratory
- Measurement & Quality Control Laboratory
- Thermodynamics Laboratory
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Energy Laboratory
- Machine Tools Laboratory
- Material Production Process Laboratory
- Drawing Shop (CAD Lab)
- Heat Engine Laboratory
- Applied Mechanics Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Applied Aerodynamics Laboratory
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Radar Engineering Laboratory
- Avionics and Ground Electronics Laboratory
- Aero-structure Laboratory
- Aero-Composite Material Laboratory
- Aero-Weapon System Laboratory
- Airborne Electronics Laboratory
- Aero-Instrumentation Laboratory
- Ship Design Laboratory
- Marine Machinery Laboratory
- Computer Aided Ship Design Laboratory
- Heat Engine Laboratory
- Ship Structure & Fabrication Laboratory
- Instrumentation Laboratory
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Laboratory
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Applied Mechanics Laboratory
Science & Humanities Dept
- Physics Lab
- Chemistry Lab
MIST library has resourceful collection of 58,242 book (as of 2012), 1,200 CD-ROMs, and a good number of magazines, periodicals, journals and articles from home and abroad. The library gives access to online journals through INASP-PERI. The central library uses KOHA(open source software) as a part of Integrated Library Management System.It also subscribes a number of Bangla and English newspapers and periodicals. In addition to that each dept has its own library enriched with adequate text and reference books. There is also a cyber center for Internet browsing.
MIST Journals & Magazines
- MIST has an annual technical journal titled "Galaxy" (ISSN: 2073-6444) whose concern is to provide a firm ground for students and faculty members to share their research outcome and knowledge.
- Osmany Hall Magazine "Prottasha(প্রত্যাশা)"
- "AEROMIST"-A departmental magazine of Aeronautical Engineering department.
Halls Of Residence
MIST has dorms for male and female students. Hostel administration is performed by the provost who is selected from one of the senior teachers of the 11 departments. The hall organizes many creative works and tournaments.
Osmany Hall is named after the Bangabir General M.A.G. Osmany, the Commander-in-chief of Bangladesh forces during Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971. Osmany Hall is an 8 storeyed building with female and male wings, each wing having a capacity of 260 students. There are 20 staff for each wing. Osmany Hall is known for the security of the students compared to the other hall in the country. Students get various modern facilities such as 24-hour electricity, internet service, gym, games and sports facilities.
MIST has two Teacher's Quarters for the permanent teachers with families. They are:
Facilities & Services
Civil students are provided with medical support by MIST medical centre. MIST Medical centre provides required medicine and other necessary support as prescribed by the Medical Officer. Civil student can be sent to Azmol Hospital (Mirpur 10), 3 km away from MIST for further treatment.
Fitness Center provides ample opportunity for the students to keep their body and mind fit.
Cyber cafe provides internet browsing facilities to students and faculties.
Sports & Recreation
MIST has got adequate facilities for both indoor and outdoor games including table tennis, badminton, football, and cricket. Students can also enjoy a wide variety of athletic pursuits. Besides, picnics, cultural competition, celebration of national days are also arranged regularly in befitting manner.
To break the monotony of study different cultural programs are arranged at regular intervals.
Cafeteria provides an inexpensive meal with different types of cuisine on offer.
- MIST Debating Society (MISTDS) (http://mistds.weebly.com/)
- MIST Photographic Society (MISTPS)
- MIST Film and Drama Society (MISTFDS)
- MIST Lunabotics Club (http://mistlunabotics.com/)
- MIST Robotics Club (http://mistroboticsclub.com/)
- MIST Sports Club
- MIST Aero Thunder (http://mistaerothunder.com/)
- MIST Programming Club
- Md Mijanur Rahman (AE-1) Won Runner-Up Trophy in "International Public Speaking Competition-2010" held in England.
- MIST programming contest teams MIST_Kernel participated in the "4th IUT ICT Fest-2012", placed 8th( 5th in institution ranking).
- MIST programming contest teams MIST_Kernel participated in the "ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest Dhaka Regional 2012",achieved 17th position ( 9th in institution ranking).
- MIST Lunabotics Team participated in "3rd Annual Lunabotics Mining Competition 2012" held in Kennedy Space Center, Florida, USA.
- Mobile Apps "Save Life" developed by the Students (Ishtiak Ahmed & Kazi Munshimun Nabi) of CSE Dept of MIST secured 2nd runner-up position in the Mobile Apps Development Contest by EATL Apps among 188 projects.
- MIST Aero Thunder Team participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition(West)-2013" & placed 19th position in world ranking, held in California, USA from 12 to 14 April 2013.
- Two Teams from CE Dept.(Team VIVE & Team STORM) participated in "ACI Mortar Workability Competition 2013" held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA in April 14 & Team VIVE placed 4th among all the universities & 1st contestant from Bangladesh & whole Asia.
- Team "MIST Dreamer's Fin" from Aeronautical Engineering Dept. participated in 2013 AIAA/Cessna Aircraft Company/Raytheon Missile Systems Design/Build/Fly Competition held in Tucson,Arizona,USA from 19 to 21 April 2013 & placed 40 out of 90 team from all over the world (placed 4th in whole ASIA region). "MIST Dreamer's Fin" is the 1st team from Bangladesh participate this competition.
- MIST Team "BIJOY" became Runners up of the Inter University Design Contest-UAPT jointly organized by Engineering Students Association of Bangladesh(ESAB) & Bangladeshi Systems Change Advocacy Network (B-SCAN) among 82 teams from all over the country in 10 May 2013.
- MIST Lunabotics Team "EKUSH" participated in the "4th Annual Lunabotics Mining Competition 2013" held in Kennedy Space Center, Florida, USA & placed 11th in mining Category all over world. And won 1st position in 'Outreach Project',1st in 'Luna World Wide Award' 2nd in 'System Engineering Paper' & 3rd in 'Team Spirit Award'.
- "MIST Aero Thunder Team GREEN" participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition (WEST)-2014" & placed 17th position among 33 universities all over the world. And also placed 5th position in payload section & 10th in flight score
- "MIST Aero Thunder Team RED" participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition(East)-2014" & placed 10th position in world ranking, held in USA from 11 to 13 April 2014.They also placed 5th position in System Engineering Paper & 5th position in Presentation.