Benin Armed Forces
|Benin Armed Forces
|Service branches||Army (l'Armée de Terre)
Benin Navy (Forces Navales Beninois, FNB)
Benin People's Air Force (Force Aerienne Populaire de Benin, FAPB)
|Commander-in-Chief||President Yayi Boni|
|Percent of GDP||1% (2011)|
|Foreign suppliers|| France
The Benin Armed Forces (FAB) constitutes the army, navy, air force, and national gendarmerie of Benin. For a number of years, the Belgian Armed Forces have had an active programme of co-operation with Benin, offering training and coaching, donating redundant military equipment and using the county for limited military exercises.
Vehicles and Towed Artillery
|PT-76||Soviet Union||Light tank||18|
|Casspir||South Africa||Armoured personnel carrier||Casspir 2000||--||10 on order.|
|M8 Greyhound||United States||Armoured car||7|
|Eland Mk7||South Africa||Armoured car||Eland-90 variant.||3||Provided with French instructors for training Beninese crews.|
|Véhicule Blindé Léger||France||Scout car||10|
|BRDM-2||Soviet Union||Scout car||14|
|M113||United States||Armoured Personnel Carrier||18|
|L118 Light Gun||United Kingdom||Howitzer||12|
|M101 howitzer||United States||Howitzer||4|
After achieving independence from France in 1960 the Benin Airforce was transport equipped with seven French-supplied Douglas C-47s, four MH.1521 Broussards and two Agusta-Bell 47Gs. Two F-27s were entered service in 1978 for transport duties before being transferred to Air Benin. Also during the same era two AN-26s were acquired. In late 1985 two Dornier Do-28s entered service to replace the C-47s. A single DHC-6 Twin Otter was acquired in 1989.
The Benin Air Force maintains a small transport and utility fleet of 14 aircraft, including seven helicopters.
|Agusta A109||Italy||scout/attack helicopter||A109HO||2||5 delivered|
|Eurocopter AS 350 Ecureuil||France||utility helicopter||AS 350B||1||2 AS-350B+1 AS-355M delivered|
|Boeing 727||United States||VIP-transport||727-256 Adv.||1||Acquired from Iberia and modified in 2007/08.|
|British Aerospace HS.748||United Kingdom||transport||HS.748||1||2 delivered|
|de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter||Canada||transport||DHC-6-300||1|
|Dornier Do 28||Germany||utility||Do.28D-2||2|
|Douglas DC-3||United States||transport||C-47B||2||8 delivered|
|Aero Commander||United States||transport||500B||1|
|LH-10 Ellipse||France||Surveillance||Grand Duc||2||In service 2011|
As at 2012 the navy has a strength of approximately 200 personnel. It operates two ex-Chinese patrol boats, which are designated the Matelot Brice Kpomasse class.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benin Armed Forces.|
- IISS (2012), p. 422
- Mathurin C. Houngnikpo, Samuel Decalo, Historical Dictionary of Benin, 78.
- Jane's Infantry Weapons 2007
- Photo Details. Marines.mil (16 June 2009). Retrieved on 2012-05-20.
- Benin purchases ten Casspir 2000 mine protected vehicles - Armyrecognition.com, 10 February 2013
- DIO blindé au Bénin
- Senegal Instruction Operationelle Au Profit Des Forces Armees Beninoises
- Republique du Benin
- "Trade Registers". Armstrade.sipri.org. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Aviation Week & Space Technology 2009, 26 January 2009 240. Web.11 August 2009. <http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/sourcebook/content.jsp?channelName=pro&story=xml/sourcebook_xml/2009/01/26/AW_01_26_2009_p0240-112924-15.xml&headline=World%20Military%20Aircraft%20Inventory%20-%20Benin>.
- Afrique, Benin, Aeronautique, un avion pour la surveillance active, 21 November 2010
- Beninese military aviation OrBat
- Works consulted
- International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) (2012). The Military Balance 2012. London: IISS. ISSN 0459-7222.