Milk (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Carter Bays & Craig Thomas|
|Original air date||May 8, 2006|
|Season 1 episodes|
The episode opens with a celebration for Ted's 28th birthday at McLaren's. The waitress warns him that his plate is very hot but Lily has to touch it for herself to know for sure. Barney presents his gift to Ted — the "Greatest Pickup Line of All Time." The next morning, Ted gets a call from Love Solutions, the matchmaker service that Ted had signed up for in "Matchmaker" and has now been bought out by another firm, saying that they have found him a match. Ted finds out Love Solutions has found him a woman who meets all of the standards on his checklist. He asks them to set it up.
Meanwhile, Barney wants Marshall to help him wage a "prank war" against Clark Butterfield, who Barney has been antagonizing for years. Marshall realizes that even though he hates his job, he would not be able to have fun like this with Barney anywhere else.
Lily has found out about an art fellowship in San Francisco, and decides to apply, even though it could ruin the wedding plans. She is forced to reveal her plans and call Ted when a tire on Marshall's car goes flat. She tells Ted that she is still having doubts about marrying Marshall and is trying to get into the fellowship to see if she has what it takes to be a real artist. Ted tries to convince her not to go to the required interview in New Haven. Lily knows it is a mistake but she has to know for sure if she can do it, and leaves Ted on the side of the road miles out of town. Ted sends her an angry message but reminds her to pick up milk on the way home. He calls Barney, but Barney puts Marshall on the phone and Ted claims it was a prank because he does not want Marshall to know why he was all the way out in Dutchess County.
Robin (who has gotten ill-advised highlights in her hair) eventually comes to get Ted, and takes him back to the bar so that he can be there for his date. Ted daydreams about his wedding day and sees Robin trying to restrain her sadness at not being his bride, and he realizes he does not want a perfect woman - he wants Robin.
Back in the apartment Ted asks Lily if she got the "Milk", not wanting to give away to Marshall about the interview. Lily confirms she got it, but claims she does not want it.
- Roxy Music - "Mother of Pearl"
- HIMYM creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays play the fake paramedics. Barney says the actors are from "Troilus and Cressida, neighborhood theater," a reference to a Shakespeare tragedy.
- Ted says he is going to name his children Luke and Leia, which are the names of two of the main characters in the Star Wars saga.
- Lily is shown playing Super Bomberman.
- When Robin tells Ted that her new hair highlights make her look like a tiger, Ted says "I'll bet it looks 'grrrrreat!', in reference to the tagline of the Frosted Flakes cartoon spokesman, Tony The Tiger.
- Ted says his perfect woman plays bass, like Kim Deal and Kim Gordon.
- When she gets stranded in Dutchess County, Lily calls Ted and convinces him to come help her change a flat by stating that she is scared and in the "beginning of a very scary campfire story". She then makes reference to the Hook, a popular urban legend that always begins with the unsuspecting victims being in a car.
- Ted makes a joke about Robin's highlights by referencing Highlights for Children.
- Clark Butterfield is a combination of the names of two dorms at Wesleyan University, which was the show creators' alma mater.