|Town of Milliken, Colorado|
Broad Street in Milliken.
|Nickname(s): The hub of northern Colorado|
Location in Weld County and the state of Colorado
|Incorporated (town)||October 1, 1910|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||5.7 sq mi (14.8 km2)|
|• Land||5.7 sq mi (14.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,751 ft (1,448 m)|
|Population (2000 )|
|• Total||2,888 [6,159]|
|• Density||505.5/sq mi (195.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0180708|
|Website||Town of Milliken|
The town was named for John D. Milliken, a railroad official.
Milliken is located at (40.331073, -104.859878).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.7 square miles (15 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,888 people, 866 households, and 717 families residing in the town. The population density was 505.5 people per square mile (195.3/km²). There were 903 housing units at an average density of 158.0 per square mile (61.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 73.89% White, 0.31% African American, 1.18% Native American, 0.48% Asian, 21.61% from other races, and 2.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 40.75% of the population.
There were 866 households out of which 48.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.4% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.2% were non-families. 12.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.33 and the average family size was 3.63.
In the town the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 16.4% from 45 to 64, and 5.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 96.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $43,603, and the median income for a family was $47,188. Males had a median income of $33,646 versus $22,417 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,484. About 9.1% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.9% of those under age 18 and 8.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- Dent Site, near Milliken, the first site to provide evidence that men hunted mammoth
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Milliken, Colorado". ePodunk. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Milliken, Colorado.|