Millington (NJT station)
The station at Millington, seen from across the tracks.
|Address||Oaks Road, Long Hill Township, New Jersey 07946|
|Platforms||1 low-level side platform|
|Parking||114 spaces on Old Mill Road|
|Passengers (2012)||156 (average weekday)|
|Location||Oaks Road, Long Hill Township, New Jersey|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
|Designated NJRHP||March 17, 1984|
Millington Station is a New Jersey Transit station in the Millington section of Long Hill Township in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, along the Gladstone Branch of the Morris and Essex Lines. The first of three stops in Long Hill Township, Millington is the only one that retains its Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad station depot. The station is located at the intersection of Oaks Road and Division Avenue in Millington. The next station heading eastbound is Stirling Station and the next station heading westbound is the Lyons Station. The station has one low-level asphalt side platform for service, which sees every train but No. 467, which terminates at Murray Hill station in New Providence.
The station building is of stone-masonry construction built in 1901, and contains the Millington Station Cafe. The station depot was entered (along with 51 others) into the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984 as part of the New Jersey Transit Thematic Nomation of Operating Passenger Railroad Stations. 114 permit-only parking spaces are also available and costs $200 per year. These permits are for parking at the Gillette, Stirling, and Millington stations.
|■Gladstone Branch||toward Gladstone (Lyons)|
|■Gladstone Branch||toward New York or Hoboken (Stirling)|
The station at Millington is not a large, boasting one low-level side platform for use by all but one Gladstone Branch train, No.467, which terminates at Murray Hill. The first weekday train heading to New York Pennsylvania Station or Hoboken Terminal arrives at Millington at 5:05 am heading to Hoboken. The last train heading inbound to New York/Hoboken leaves at 12:12 am the next morning and heads for Hoboken Terminal. Heading westbound from Hoboken/New York, the first Gladstone Branch train arrives at 8:26 am, heading for Bernardsville. The last westbound train arrives at the station at 1:50 the next morning heading to Gladstone. On weekends, a transfer is necessary to a Morristown Line train at Summit, which accesses to New York and Hoboken. Heading inbound the first train arrives at Millington at 6:23 am and the final arrives at 12:48 the next morning. On holidays, the first train arrives at 5:54 am. Heading outbound, the first train arrives at 7:28 am and the last arrives at 2:39 am.
The station itself does not boast several New Jersey Transit amenities. The station is not accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, in which the closest station is in Lyons, which has a high-level platform. No buses serve the station, which does not have a station shelter except for the canopy. The cost to get to the station (located in Zone 14 with Stirling and Lyons) from New York is $13.00 one way and $10.25 from Hoboken. Monthly commutation tickets from New York cost $361.00 while from Hoboken the price is reduced to $291. A single Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) serves the location. The station boasts 114 spaces for parking automobiles in a lot owned by Long Hill Township. None of the 114 spaces are handicap accessible. The spaces are permit only on weekdays and evenings. On weekends, the station spaces are free for use. The parking lot next to the station depot is not used for commuters, so they must use the large lot. Permit costs are $200/year. The station also has bicycle racks to lock.
- "Morris and Essex Timetables". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Morris County". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. March 1, 2011. p. 6. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- Thomas, Gwendolyn (1984). "Long Hill Township 1984 Historic Guide". Long Hill Township, New Jersey: Long Hill Township Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings in Morris County". Washington D.C.: National Park Service. 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Station and Parking Info - Millington". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit. 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- NJT rail station information page for Millington
- DepartureVision real time train information for Millington
- Morris and Essex Line schedule (Morristown Line & Gladstone Branch)