Mills E. Godwin High School
|Mills E. Godwin High School|
|2101 Pump Road
Henrico, Virginia, 23238
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Henrico County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Patrick C. Kinlaw|
|Principal||Mrs. Elizabeth K. Armbruster|
|Assistant Principals||Mrs. Leigh Dunavant
Ms. Sandy Justice
Mr. Michael Massa
Mrs. Louise Foley
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Black|
|Mascot||Eagle (represented by a bald eagle)|
|Newspaper||The Eagles Eyrie|
|Athletic Conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Central Region
AAA Colonial District
Science, Math, and Technology Center
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
The Science, Mathematics, and Technology Specialty Center, housed at Mills E. Godwin High School, opened in the fall of 1994. The Specialty Center provides students the opportunity to pursue scientific and mathematical courses, and offers exclusive classes and electives for them to take. Electives include Biomedical Engineering, Genetics & Biotechnology, and Math Modeling with Discreet Topics. There are six classrooms and two wet labs in the specialty center. Equipment includes a BSL 2 safety hood, an inverted microscope, a gas chromatograph, Genesis spectrophotometers, and a MyCycler PCR machine.
- In 2013, Godwin became the first Henrico County Public School to have a swim team. The team is considered a club and swims against local private schools and other Henrico County schools.
- Baseball- two AAA State Championships (1987 and 1999).
- Golf- 6 AAA State Championships, including 4 consecutive state championships (1994–1997, 2012, 2014) Coach Tom Hoy has the most match wins in state history with 471 (second is former Liberty-Bedford coach Dave Eckes with 290 match wins). Mark Lawrence Jr. a player under coach Tom Hoy also holds the state record for individual titles. Lawrence won in 2011, 2013, and 2014.
- Tennis (boys) - 13 AAA state championships, the most in state history, most recently in 2009.
- Tennis (girls) - 10 AAA state championships, the most in state history, including finals appearance in each of the last 12 school years. Current coach Mark Seidenburg has the second most match wins in state history, and most match wins in the AAA conference, with 308 (second to former E.C. Glass coach Frances Simpson's 418 match wins).
- Cross Country (boys)- 2011 team were Colonial District champions, regional champions, and finished fourth at the state meet.
- Football - Central Region Champions 1984, 1988; Colonial District Champions 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989,1990, 2000, 2003
- Soccer (girls)- 2008, 2009, 2010 District Champions; 2009 Regional Champions 2009 State Finalists
- Soccer (boys)- Became the first Central Region team to win the AAA State Championship by finishing undefeated in 2003. The 2003 boys soccer team also finished the Spring season as the top team in the nation, recognized by Soccer America magazine, National Soccer Coaches Association of America, and Studentsports.com.
- Track (boys) Won the school's first district championship in the indoor season of 09-10 as well as the outdoor season of 09-10.
- Cheerleading - 2000-2001 Team won Districts and Regionals, 2010 Won districts
- Girls Volleyball - 1996 State Champions
- Wrestling- 1989 Regional Champions District Champions, 2009 District Champions
- Debate- 2014 Regional Champions, 2014 State Champions
- Model United Nations- Jean-Bernard Gazarian Award for Diplomacy for representing the Best Small Delegation at the 38th Annual Old Dominion University Model United Nations Conference
- Science, Math, and Technology Center. SMT Center at Godwin High School http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/godwin/files/2012/07/Specialty_Center_Facilities. Retrieved 2005-04-16. Missing or empty
- Justis, Gigi. "Godwin Model UN club at ODUMUNC". The Eagles' Eyrie Online. Retrieved 10 April 2015.