Mills High School
|Mills High School|
Home of the Vikings
|400 Murchison Drive
Millbrae, California, San Mateo, 94030
|School district||San Mateo Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Scarlet and Gold|
Mills was established in 1958. Mills High School narrowly had the highest Academic Performance Index (API) scores in the district in 2011 and 2012, and has been named a California Distinguished School three times (1988, 1996, 2009). Students choose many AP (Advanced Placement) classes, as well as participating in a wide variety of extracurricular activities such as music, clubs, sports, and more.
San Mateo County residents approved Measure D in 2000 and Measure M in 2006, which directly funded the repair and modernization of District schools, including Mills High School. Renovations include newly built East and West Gyms, a state-of-the-art performing arts theater, remodeled P.E. locker rooms, a remodeled pool and pool deck, a new running track, a modern mathematics hall, additional basketball and volleyball playing courts, and a new cafeteria. In addition, extensive work has been done to landscape the school, including work around the parking lots and in Center Court. Solar panels have been installed on the roof of the school. During the summer of 2013, the student parking lot was rebuilt to include more parking spaces for students and better lighting for safety purposes.
Enrollment for grades 9-12 in the 2012-2013 school year was 1,284 students. • In 2012, Mills received an Academic Performance Index (API) of 868, a growth of 3 points from 2011, and 13 points from 2010. • In 2012, Mills was granted a six-year accreditation through the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. 
Mills also has a wide selection of Advanced Placement course offerings. They consist of:
- Art 2D (beginning 2013-2014 school year)
- Art 3D (beginning 2013-2014 school year)
Mills High School has been recognized nationally for its academic excellence. In 2013, it was ranked 529th in Newsweek 's Top 2,000 Public High Schools and 519th nationally by US News and World Report. In 2012 it was ranked 816th nationally by The Washington Post.
- 1,214 students: 634 Male (52.2%), 580 Female (47.8%)
|Asian||Hispanic||White||Filipino||Two or More Races||Pacific Islander||African American||American Indian||Not Reported|
The majority of Mills students are Millbrae residents; others are San Bruno or Burlingame residents. The majority of Mills students come from Taylor Middle School in Millbrae, while some also come from Burlingame Intermediate School (BIS) and Parkside Middle School in San Bruno.
|SAT Scores for 2013–2014 |
|Critical Reading Average||Math Average||Writing Average|
|2013 Academic Performance Index|
|2009 Base API||2013 Growth API||Growth in the API from 2009 to 2013|
Mills has a wide array of sports throughout the school year. In the fall, the sports are: Girls' Tennis, Girls' Golf, Water Polo, Cross Country, Football, and Volleyball. Winter sports include: Basketball, Soccer, and Wrestling. Spring sports consist of: Badminton, Baseball, Boys' Golf, Softball, Swimming, Boys' Tennis, and Track and Field.
|Girls' Golf||Wrestling||Boys' Golf|
|Girls' Tennis||Boys' Tennis|
|Track and Field|
Notable alumni and faculty
- Wesley Chan (2002) — Co-Founder of Wong Fu Productions
- Paul Fanaika (2004) — NFL Football Player
- Larry Grenadier — Jazz bassist
- Gordon Lish (faculty) — Editor, author, teacher
- Leslie Maxie — Olympic athlete and World Youth World Record Holder / ESPN Newscaster
- Frank Portman (a.k.a. Dr. Frank) — Lead singer of the Mr. T Experience
- Adam Tafralis (2002) — Canadian Football League Quarterback and San Jose State career passing yards record holder
- James van Hoften (1962) — NASA astronaut
- Craig Venter (1964) — Biologist and businessman
- Nick Verreos — Fashion designer who competed on Project Runway
- "School Profile 2011-12: Mills High School". California Department of Education. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Enrollment by Ethnicity for 2014-15: Mills High School". California Department of Education.
- "2012 Growth Academic Performance Index Report". California Department of Education Analysis, Measurement, & Accountability Reporting Division. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Distinguished School Awards". California Department of Education. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- Measure D: San Mateo Union High School District Bonds For Repair and Renovation - San Mateo County, CA
- 2012 Base API School Report - Mills High
- "WASC: Mills High School Accreditation". Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "America's Best High Schools 2013". Newsweek.
- "Best High Schools-2013". US News and World Report.
- "The High School Challenge-2012". The Washington Post.
- Swartz, Angela (July 20, 2013). "School’s AP scores invalidated: Mills High community challenging College Board decision". The Daily Journal.
- "SAT Report - District Level Scores". California Department of Education. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "2009 Base API School Report - Mills High". California Department of Education Assessment, Accountability and Awards Division.
- "2013 Growth API School Report - Mills High". California Department of Education Analysis, Measurement, & Accountability Reporting Division.
- Daily Journal "Representing at the Pro Bowl", San Mateo Daily Journal, January 20, 2011, accessed January 20, 2011.
- Daily Journal "NFL Pro Bowl: Aloha Mills Cheerleaders"[dead link], Millbrae Patch, January 21, 2011, accessed January 21, 2011.
- "Player Bio: Paul Fanaika". Sun Devil Athletics. Retrieved 17 July 2012.[dead link]
- "Famous Mills High School Alumni". Mills High School. Retrieved 2006-06-20.[dead link]
- "Tiger-Cats Football - Adam Tafralis". Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Retrieved 2006-10-12.
- "Astronaut Bio: James D. A. van Hoften". NASA. Retrieved 17 July 2012.