Millville Senior High School
|Millville Senior High School|
|200 Wade Boulevard
Millville, NJ 08332
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Millville Public Schools|
|Asst. Principal||Steve Matusz
|Faculty||101.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||10 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,229 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.06:1|
|Color(s)||Orange and Blue|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
Millville Senior High School is a comprehensive public high school located in Millville, New Jersey, operating as part of the Millville Public Schools. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1943.
Students from Woodbine attend the district's high schools as part of a sending/receiving relationship. Maurice River Township students also attend the district's high schools, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Maurice River Township School District. Commercial Township and Lawrence Township also send students to the district's high schools; The four sending districts filed suit in 2009, challenging the way in which the Millville district charges for students from outside the district to attend the school.
Millville High School is a participant in the NASA Toys in Space program, a joint project of American and Russian students to learn the science behind designing a toy, and about the study of space.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,229 students and 101.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.06:1. There were 576 students (46.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 101 (8.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 291st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 308th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 306th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 289th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 295th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Millville Senior High School athletic programs compete in the Atlantic Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County and Gloucester County that operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,280 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as South Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,084 to 1,845 students in that grade range.
Vineland Senior High School South/Vineland Senior High School North, in Vineland, have participated since before 1900, in an annual Thanksgiving football game with Millville High School. The rivalry is the one of the oldest public high school rivalries in the United States, meeting for the 135th time.
The football team won the NJSIAA South Jersey Group IV state sectional title in 1975.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Kathleen Procopio, Principal
- Steve Matusz, Assistant Principal
- Krisitin McManus, Assistant Principal
- Zachary Wurcel, Assistant Principal
- Fred Pierce Corson (1896–1985), a Bishop of The Methodist Church.
- Merritt Gant (born 1971), former guitarist for the heavy metal band Overkill.
- Bubba Green (born 1957) played defensive tackle for the Baltimore Colts in 1981.
- Leon Henderson (1895-1986), administrator of the Office of Price Administration from 1941 to 1942.
- Steve Romanik (1924-2009), played quarterback in the NFL from 1950-1954 for the Chicago Bears and Chicago Cardinals.
- Mike Trout (born 1991), professional baseball player.
- Ashleigh Udalovas (born 1988), Miss New Jersey 2010.
- Data for Millville Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 20, 2014.
- Member Directory, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Accessed September 20, 2012.
- Campbell, Al. "Woodbine School Proposes Consolidation with Middle Schools", Cape May County Herald, February 27, 2008. Accessed March 29, 2011. "One key factor, said Kopakowski, is Woodbine’s sending-receiving relationship with Millville School District. That Cumberland County district, with about 6,400 pupils K-12 has long educated Woodbine’s high school students."
- Maurice River Township Elementary School, Maurice River Township School District. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The Maurice River Township School District consists of one elementary school and is a sending district to the Millville School District for its high school students.... Maurice River Township transports approximately 180 students to the Memorial and Senior High Schools in Millville."
- Jones, Jean. "Sending districts Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence, Woodbine suing Millville School District over tuition rates", The News of Cumberland County, April 13, 2009. Accessed March 29, 2011. "The suit, filed in the state Administrative Law Court, asks the commissioner of education to resolve a dispute about the method which the Millville school district is using to estimate and audit tuition for four sending districts. The four districts, Maurice River, Commercial, Lawrence and Woodbine, have joined in the suit with Maurice River as the lead agency."
- Millville High School Students Participate in Toys in Space Project, New Jersey Department of Education press release dated March 2, 2007
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 20, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed January 31, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 20, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for South Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 20, 2014.
- Thanksgiving brings feast of rivalries, The Courier-Post, November 22, 2006
- VHS-MHS games on the 6s were eventful, colorful, The Daily Journal (New Jersey), November 29, 1996.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Administration, Millville Senior High School. Accessed April 17, 2012.
- Our People of the Century - Millville's Class of 1913: Fame, Power, Influence Await Three High School Graduates", Cumberland County, New Jersey. Accessed December 6, 2007. "The legendary Millville High School Class of 1913 turned out a business leader, a political leader, and a religious leader. Collectively known as the “Big Three,” William M. Dougherty, Leon Henderson, and Bishop Fred Pierce Corson, all schoolboy chums, went on to shape a good chunk of 20th century America."
- Cook Jr., Jim. "Battling Stray Electricity: A family's journey", The News of Cumberland County, November 20, 2011. Accessed March 20, 2012. "Anthony 'Bubba' Green, a Woodbine-native and member of the 1975 football team that led Millville High School to its state title, lost his daughter in a tragic accident involving stray electricity running through a fence in a Baltimore city recreation park in 2006."
- Gray, Matt. "Former NFL player, city commissioner Steve Romanik dies", The News of Cumberland County, September 16, 2009. Accessed January 31, 2011. "Steve Romanik graduated from Millville Senior High School as part of the Class of 1942."
- Lulgjuraj, Susan. "Millville minor-leaguer Mike Trout named All-Star", The Press of Atlantic City, June 14, 2011. Accessed July 6, 2011. "Arkansas Travelers center fielder Mike Trout was selected Monday to start in the Texas League All-Star Game for the North Division on July 29 in San Antonio. Through Monday, the Millville High School graduate was sixth in the league with a .327 batting average through 56 games this season for the Travelers, the double-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels."
- Staff. "Ashleigh Udalovas eliminated from Miss America pageant", The Daily Journal (New Jersey), January 15, 2011. Accessed January 31, 2011. "Udalovas, 22, a graduate of Millville Senior High School, appeared on television during the opening introduction of the 53 contestants."
- Millville High School
- Millville Public Schools
- Millville Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Millville Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Millville HS