3D surface models created in Mimics from CT
Mimics is an image processing software for 3D design and modeling, developed by Materialise NV, a Belgian company specialized in additive manufacturing software and technology for medical, dental and additive manufacturing industries. Mimics is used to create 3D surface models from stacks of 2D image data. These 3D models can then be used for a variety of engineering applications. Mimics is an acronym for Materialise Interactive Medical Image Control System. It is developed in an ISO environment with CE and FDA 510k premarket clearance. Mimics is commercially available as part of the Mimics Innovation Suite, which also contains 3-matic, a design and meshing software for anatomical data. The current version is 16.0, it supports Windows 7, Vista and XP in both x32 and x64.
Mimics calculates surface 3D models from stacked image data such as Computed Tomography (CT), Micro CT, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Confocal Microscopy and Ultrasound, through image segmentation. The ROI, selected in the segmentation process is converted to a 3D surface model using an adapted marching cubes algorithm that takes the partial volume effect into account, leading to very accurate 3D models. The 3D files are represented in the STL format.
Output file formats differ, depending on the subsequent application: common 3D output formats include STL, VRML, PLY and DXF. The 3D files can also be optimized for FEA or CFD and can therefore be exported to Abaqus in INP format, to Ansys in INP, CDB and MSH format, to Nastran in OUT, NAS and BDF format, and to Comsol in MPHTXT format. To continue with Computer-aided design, the files can be exported in IGES format or as Point cloud.
Mimics has been adopted by biomedical engineers and device manufacturers for R&D purposes in various medical industries:
These industries use patient-specific 3D data to improve their implants and devices or to get a better understanding of biomechanical processes. Also non-medical industries like materials science use Mimics in image-based R&D.
Mimics is a platform to bridge stacked image data to a variety of different medical engineering applications:
- 3D measurements and analyses
- Computer Aided Design: SolidWorks, Pro/E...etc.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics: FLUENT, CFX,...etc.
- Customized implant design
- Finite Element Analysis: ABAQUS, ANSYS,...etc.
- Rapid Prototyping: 3D Systems, EOS, Stratasys, ZCorp, Dimension, Objet, ... etc.
- Surgical simulation
- Gelaude F, Vander Sloten J, Lauwers B. Accuracy assessment of CT-based outer surface meshes, Computer Aided Surgery 2008, 13(4), p188-199.
- Jamali AA et al. Linear and angular measurements of computer-generated models: are they accurate, valid and reliable? Computer Aided Surgery 2007, 12(5), p278-285.