|Brevard County and the state of Florida|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||22.4 sq mi (57.9 km2)|
|• Land||17.0 sq mi (44.1 km2)|
|• Water||5.3 sq mi (13.7 km2)|
|Elevation||33 ft (10 m)|
|• Density||320/sq mi (120/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0286950|
Mims is located at .(28.668670, -80.847949)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 22.4 square miles (57.9 km2), of which 17.0 square miles (44.1 km2) is land and 5.3 square miles (13.7 km2), or 23.71%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,147 people, 3,591 households, and 2,574 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 462.0 people per square mile (178.4/km²). There were 4,171 housing units at an average density of 210.7/sq mi (81.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 86.57% White, 10.98% African American, 0.63% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.54% of the population.
There were 3,591 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,216, and the median income for a family was $41,044. Males had a median income of $33,886 versus $21,925 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,433. About 11.3% of families and 15.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.5% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
Harry T. Moore, a civil rights leader, teacher and founder of the Brevard County NAACP, was murdered in Mims with his wife, Harriette, in 1951. The murder was racially motivated by members of the Ku Klux Klan, sparking over a 50-year investigation in the state of Florida.
There are two schools in Mims:
- Mims Elementary School
- Pinewood Elementary School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mims CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mims CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "Article: Praxair awarded five-year contract.(Praxair Inc.)(United States. National Aeronautics and Space Administration)(Brief article)". Fairfield County Business Journal. highbeam.com. 2006-06-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mims, Florida.|