Min Chen (biologist)
Min Chen is a biologist and associate professor at the School of Biological Science in The University of Sydney. Her research is primarily concerned with elucidating the molecular and biochemical mechanism of the energy-storing reactions in photosynthetic organisms, especially the function of novel photopigments in oxygenic photosynthetic bacteria.
In October 2011, A/Prof Chen was awarded the Science Minister’s Prize for Life Scientist of the Year,  for her role in discovering a new form of chlorophyll, called chlorophyll f. Her research found that chlorophyll f has an absorption maximum at 706nm in vitro, which suggests that oxygenic photosynthesis can be extended even further into the infrared region, which may open up associated bioenergy applications. The function of Chlorophyll f in photosynthetic reactions is uncertain and the ecological distribution of chlorophyll f remains unknown.
- 2011 Science Minister's Prize for Life Scientist of the Year
- Chen M, Schliep M, Willows R, Cai Z-L, Neilan BA, Scheer H, A red-shifted chlorophyll, Science 329, 1318-1319 (2010); published online 19 August 2010.
- Schliep M, Crossett B, Willows RD, Chen M, 18O-labelling of chlorophyll d in acaryochloris marina reveal chlorophyll a and molecular oxygen are precursors, J. Bio. Chem. 285, 28450-28456(2010) .
- Chen M, Floetenmeyer M and Bibby TS, Supramolecular organization of phycobiliproteins in the chlorophyll d-containing cyanobacterium Acaryochloris marina, FEBS Lett. 583, 2535-2539 (2009)
- Swingley WD, Chen M, Cheung PC, Conrad AL, Dejesa LC, Hao J, Honchak BM, Karbach LE, Kurdoglu A, Lahiri S, Mastrian SD, Miyashita H, Page L, Ramakrishna P, Satoh S, Sattley WM, Shimada Y, Taylor HL, Tomo T, Tsuchiya T, Wang ZT, Raymond J, Mimuro M, Blankenship RE, and. Touchman JW, Genome expansion in the chlorophyll d-producing cyanobacterium Acaryochloris marina, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105, 2005-2010 (2008)
- Kühl M, Chen M, Ralph P, Schreiber U and Larkum AWD, A niche for cyanobacteria containing chlorophyll d, Nature 433 820 (2005)
- Bibby TS, Nield J, Chen M, Larkum AWD and Barber J, Structure of a photosystem II supercomplex isolated from Prochloron didemni retaining its chlorophyll a/b light harvesting system, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100 9050–9054 (2003).
|This article about a biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|