Minden Township, Michigan
|Minden Township, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.6 km2)|
|• Land||36.1 sq mi (93.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||784 ft (239 m)|
|• Density||17.5/sq mi (6.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48456 (Minden City,
|GNIS feature ID||1626749|
- The Village of Minden City is located within the township. The Minden City ZIP code 48456 serves the northeastern portion of Minden Township.
- Palms is an unincorporated community in the southeast portion of the township at . The community was founded by Mr. Palm about 1859 and was a station on the Port Huron and Northwestern Railway in 1880. A post office named Palm State was established in October 1882 and renamed Palms in April 1896. The Palms ZIP code 48465 serves the southeast part of Minden Township as well as the northeast part of Wheatland Township to the south, the southern portion of Delaware Township to the east, and small areas of northern Marion Township and Forester Township, also to the east.
- Village of Ubly is to the northwest, and the Ubly ZIP code 48475 serves the southwest portion of Minden Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93 km2), of which, 36.1 square miles (93 km2) of it is land and 0.03% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 633 people, 237 households, and 167 families residing in the township. The population density was 17.5 per square mile (6.8/km²). There were 274 housing units at an average density of 7.6 per square mile (2.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.10% White, 3.48% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.63% of the population.
There were 237 households out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.0% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.5% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 87.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $30,227, and the median income for a family was $38,500. Males had a median income of $31,029 versus $20,066 for females. The per capita income for the township was $14,770. About 7.5% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.9% of those under age 18 and 23.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Minden Township, Michigan
- 48456 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Palms, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 48465 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48475 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census