|Attendance||7,500+ in 2013 (17,000 total)|
MineCon is a convention for the video game Minecraft, hosted by Mojang. The first gathering in 2010 was known as MinecraftCon. The MineCon 2011 convention was held in Las Vegas and celebrated the launch of the game with Minecraft-related discussion panels and gaming areas. Over 7,000 fans attended the 2012 convention at the Paris Disneyland Park, and over 7,500 fans attended the 2013 convention in Orlando, Florida.
Events by year
MinecraftCon 2010 was a gathering of more than 50 people at Bellevue, Washington on 31 August. Markus Persson made the meetup when several requests were made for a community meetup, so he called on the community to pick no specific venue. This was not technically a convention, but some count it as the first Minecraft convention.
5,000 people attended the first MineCon convention held at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, on 18 November 2011. The convention focused on celebrating the launch of the game and hosted Minecraft-related discussion panels and invited people to play the game with others while at the convention. There were keynote speeches from members of the community, building contests, costume contests and exhibits. One of the many events at MineCon was the "Nether Party", an event for those aged 21 and over, featuring deadmau5.
|MineCon 2012 Trailer|
On 2 August 2012, Mojang announced that the 2012 MineCon convention would take place in the Paris Disneyland Park on 24 and 25 November. The announcement was made over the social networking platform Twitter when the game's creator, Markus Persson, posted a short trailer revealing the new convention location. The video shows Mojang team members wearing Disney paraphernalia, and Persson comments to lead developer Jens Bergensten, "I think they are trying to tell us something". Joystiq's JC Fletcher said that the site was a "step up" from the first MineCon's location in Las Vegas. The second annual convention was the first held outside of the United States, making it available to European fans who might not have been able to attend the first. It was held in the wake of Minecraft's growing popularity as the Xbox 360 version of the game sold 3 million copies. 2012 was also the start of several in-game unofficial MineCons, notably Virtual Minecon, which although an unofficial event, was attended by a member of the Mojang Team. Many in-game MineCons have announced an intent to return with the start of the next MineCon.
4,500 fans attended the convention in 2012. Mojang made several announcements at the 2012 convention. Details about the 1.5 "Redstone" update were revealed as well as information on the game's modding API. The Redstone update was planned for release in early March 2013 and included new features added to the redstone ore in the game. Minecraft 1.5 has released hoppers, droppers, and more.
In April 2013, Lydia Winters revealed that MineCon 2013 would be held in the United States. Jens Bergensten later said that it would be on the east coast. On 27 June, it was announced on Mojang's YouTube Channel that MineCon 2013 will be held in Orlando, Florida. The website for the Orange County Convention Center had listed MineCon as an upcoming event in November, with an attendance of 7,500, but then removed the event from the web page. Tickets went on sale in three batches each of 2,500 tickets on 31 July, 2 August, and 3 August. The first batch of 2,500 tickets sold out in three seconds according to Mojang COO Vu Bui. The event took place on 2 and 3 November.
On 30 March 2014, Lydia Winters revealed in a tweet that MineCon 2014 would be held in Europe. However on August 21, 2014, COO of Mojang, Vu Bui, created a blog post, stating that there would be no Minecon 2014, but instead the next Minecon would be in Spring 2015 in London, but currently, no venue or exact date is known.
At each MineCon, attendees received an exclusive in-game cape. In 2011, attendees received a red cape with a Creeper face in the center, chosen in a vote by the community. In 2012, a dark blue cape with a golden pickaxe in the center, which was spoiled in Curse's "Swag Bag" video. In 2013, a jade green cape with an elevated piston in the center.
- Francis, Tom (January 2013). "Minecon celebrates a vast community". PC Gamer (UK): 11.
- Persson, Markus (25 August 2010). "How about a somewhat spontaneous MinecraftCon 2010 in Bellevue in one week?". Tumblr.
- Wainwright, Lauren (2 August 2012). "Minecon 2012 will be at Disneyland Paris". Market for Home Computing and Video Games. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Purchese, Robert (2 August 2012). "MineCon 2012 will be held at Disneyland Paris". Eurogamer. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Fletcher, JC (2 August 2012). "MineCon 2012 going to Disneyland Paris this November". Joystiq. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Pearson, Dan (2 August 2012). "Minecon 2012 to be held at Disneyland Paris". GamesIndustry.biz (Eurogamer). Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Persson, Markus; Bergensten, Jens (2 August 2012). MINECON 2012 Announcement!.
- Karmali, Luke (2 August 2012). "MineCon 2012 Dates and Venue Revealed". IGN. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "CREEPEREVENTS 2013 Virtual Minecon - RECRUITMENT WEEK!". PlanetMinecraft. 9 September 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Pettersson, Henrik (10 November 2012). "carnalizer: In a VIP area at Virtual Minecon". Twitter. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Virtual Minecon 2013". Creeperevents.com. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Nylund, Mats (27 November 2012). "MineCon 2012 is over". Market for Home Computing and Video Games. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- Bergensten, Jens (13 March 2013). "Minecraft 1.5 is Published!". Mojang.
- Winters, Lydia (7 April 2013). "LydiaWinters: MINECON will be in the US this year. Sorry dear Brits. I'm not coming to scout locations!". Twitter. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Bergensten, Jens (18 April 2013). "jeb_: Sorry it's gonna be on the US east coast". Twitter. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Persson, Markus; Geuder, Patrick (27 July 2013). Where in the World is MINECON 2013?.
- "OCCC Calendar Of Events - July 2013 Through December 2013". Orange County Convention Center. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "OCCC Calendar Of Events - July 2013 Through December 2013". Orange County Convention Center. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Bui, Vu (31 July 2013). "vubui: Official numbers now in. #MINECON tickets, batch 1... 2500 tickets sold in 3 seconds.". Twitter.
- Winters, Lydia (30 March 2014). "LydiaWinters: It's in Europe this year... but maybe next year". Twitter.
- Winters, Lydia (27 September 2011). "MineCon speakers: The Yogscast". Mojang. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Möllstam, Tobias (15 November 2012). "mollstam: Capes for MINECON attendees will be given when the event starts to have as a memory. They are pretty and blue.". Twitter.
- Ferguson, Lindsay (23 November 2012). Minecon 2012- Swag Bag.
- Flosstradamus (24 November 2012). "Could this be the Minecon 2012 Cape? :O". Minecraft Forums. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Möllstam, Tobias (30 October 2013). "mollstam: E-mails with Minecon 2013 capes have started to go out! Sent to the address used for purchasing tickets.". Twitter.
- Official website
- MineCon article on the Minecraft wiki
- Official MineCon 2012 Tumblr
- Official MineCon 2013 Tumblr