Mineral Hot Springs, Colorado
Mineral Hot Springs is a platted subdivision but nearly all lots are now owned by the owner of "Joyful Journey" a spa. In addition to the spa there are a couple of private homes on the lots of the subdivision. Mineral Hot Springs is located on Highway 17 about a mile south of its junction with U.S. 285 about 6 miles south of Villa Grove, Colorado. Mineral Hot Springs had a post office from 1911 to 1946.
There have been some facilities at Mineral Hot Springs for most of its history although they have not always been attractive or open to the public including a covered swimming pool, a motel, a cafe, a hotel, and a gas station. Joyful Journey, a modern spa, now occupies the facilities which have been remodeled and modernized.
If not tapped, and hydrostatic pressure is sufficient, the springs emerge from low mounds deposited by the springs. They were a favorite resort of American Indians who valued the hot water and mud for the healing of wounds.
- Pages 74 to 77 in Postmarks and Places by George Harlan, Golden Bell Press (Copyright 1976), trade paperback, 220 pages
- Records on file with the Saguache County Clerk and Recorder
- Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa, accessed September 20, 2010
- Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa
- Google map showing mounds and vegetation patterns at the natural springs