Mineral Products Association
|Not for profit company|
|Purpose||Trade Association for the UK minerals products industry|
|Location||Registered Office: Gillingham House, 38–44 Gillingham Street, London, UK|
The Mineral Products Association (MPA) is the United Kingdom trade association for the aggregates, asphalt, cement, concrete, dimension stone, lime, mortar, and silica sand industries. With the recent addition of The British Precast Concrete Federation (BPCF) and the British Association of Reinforcement (BAR), it has a growing membership of 480 companies and is the sectoral voice for mineral products. MPA membership is made up of the vast majority of independent SME companies throughout the UK, as well as the 9 major international and global companies. It covers 100% of GB cement production, 90% of aggregates production and 95% of asphalt and ready-mixed concrete production and 70% of precast concrete production. Each year the industry supplies £9 billion of materials and services to the £120 billion construction and other sectors. Industry production represents the largest materials flow in the UK economy and is also one of the largest manufacturing sectors.
Key Facts and Figures
In a typical year, the UK mineral products industry supports:
- the building of over 100,000 new homes
- over £7 billion of school and university improvements
- maintenance of our 230,000-mile road network
- a £3 billion programme of improvements to water services
- over £3.5 billion of investment in our rail network
- supplies of special sands for glass foundry and other industries
- cleansing of emissions from coal-fired power stations
- every year over three tonnes of aggregates are needed per head of the population in the UK.
- a typical family indirectly demands a lorry load of aggregates each year
- a new house requires some 50 tonnes of aggregates
- the mineral products industry employs around 70,000 people directly and indirectly.
The Mineral Products Association (MPA) was formed in March 2009 from the merger of the Quarry Products Association, the British Cement Association and The Concrete Centre. MPA was officially launched in June 2009.
The Mineral Products Association has offices in London, Glasgow and Fron in Wales.
QPA Northern Ireland is affiliated to the MPA and has offices in Crumlin, County Antrim. The British Precast Concrete Federation (BPCF), the trade Association of precast concrete manufacturers, is a member of the MPA and is based in Leicester.
MPA has regional divisions, for London & South East, South West, East Anglia, Midlands, Wales, North, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
MPA is formed from constituent bodies, representing different mineral products:
- Agricultural Lime Association
- British Lime Association
- British Marine Aggregate Producers Association
- British Ready-Mixed Concrete Association
- Dimension Stone Group
- Mortar Industry Association
- MPA Cement
- MPA The Concrete Centre – the central development organisation for the UK concrete industry
- Silica and Moulding Sands Association
- The British Precast Concrete Federation is a member of MPA 
- Mineral Products Association www.mineralproducts.org
- Careers in Quarrying www.careersinquarrying.co.uk
- Eurocode2 www.eurocode2.info
- MPA Sustainable Development Microsite www.mineralproducts.org/sustainability
- Safe Quarry www.safequarry.com
- Sustainable Concrete www.sustainableconcrete.org.uk
- Virtual Quarry www.virtualquarry.co.uk
- Asphalt Industry Alliance www.asphaltindustryalliance.com
- British Geological Survey www.bgs.ac.uk
- Building Research Establishment www.bre.co.uk
- Construction Products Association www.constructionproducts.org.uk
- Confederation of British Industry www.cbi.org.uk
- European Aggregates Association www.uepg.co.uk
- Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining www.iom3.org
- Institute of Quarrying www.quarrying.org
- Natural England www.naturalengland.org.uk
- Nature After Minerals www.afterminerals.com