A ranch in Minerva, Oregon
|Elevation||33 ft (10 m)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|GNIS feature ID||1146323|
Minerva is an unincorporated community in Lane County, Oregon, United States. It is located about 13 miles (21 km) northeast of Florence near the North Fork Siuslaw River within the Siuslaw National Forest.
When local settlers petitioned the post office department for a new office in the 1890s, the name "Bays Landing" was suggested to honor local resident James E. Bay. The department suggested a one-word name would be more convenient, so the office was named Minerva after Mr. Bay's wife. L. C. Ackerley wrote the petition and the post office was first located in the Ackerley home. The post office closed in about 1940.
At one time Minerva had a store with a gas pump, a United Evangelical Church, a grange hall, and public school, but none of these remain at the site today. The school at Minerva served students in grades 1 through 8, and older students attended boarding school in Florence. When a road was constructed to Florence students of all ages attended school there and the Minerva school was closed.
- "Minerva". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. p. 38. ISBN 0-89933-347-8.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 649. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "North Fork of the Siuslaw River Watershed Analysis". Siuslaw National Forest: United States Forest Service. December 16, 1994. p. 15. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Friedman, Ralph (1990). In Search of Western Oregon (2nd ed.). Caldwell, Idaho: The Caxton Printers, Ltd. p. 71. ISBN 0-87004-332-3.
- Historic image of a covered bridge near Minerva from Salem Public Library
|This Lane County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|