Minified source code is also very useful for HTML code. As an example, successive whitespace characters in HTML are rendered as a single space, so replacing all whitespace sequences with single spaces can considerably reduce the size of a page.
Minification can be distinguished from the more general concept of data compression in that the minified source can be interpreted immediately without the need for an uncompression step: the same interpreter can work with both the original as well as with the minified source.
Components and libraries for Web applications and websites have been developed to optimize file requests and quicken page load times by reducing the size of various files.
Some libraries also merge multiple script files into a single file for client download. This fosters a modular approach to development.
- JSMin. Crockford.com (4 December 2003).
- Packer. Dean.edwards.name.
- Packer version 3.0 feature list. Dean.edwards.name.
- Google Closure Compiler. Code.google.com (2 July 2012).
- Microsoft Ajax Minifier. Ajaxmin.codeplex.com (13 September 2012).
- Pretty Diff. Pretty Diff.
- minifyPS. Minifyps.codeplex.com (22 February 2012).
- Online JS Minify
- BlimptonTech. BlimptonTech.com (17 July 2013).