Ministry of National Development (Singapore)
Logo of the MND
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Headquarters||5 Maxwell Road, #21-00 & #22-00 Tower Block, MND Complex, Singapore 069110|
|Annual budget||$2.57 billion (est) SGD (2011)|
|Ministers responsible||Khaw Boon Wan, Minister
Lee Yi Shyan, Senior Minister of State
Maliki Osman, Minister of State
Desmond Lee Ti-Seng, Minister of State
|Agency executives||Benny Lim , Permanent Secretary
Chew Hock Yong , Second Permanent Secretary
|Child agencies||Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore
Building and Construction Authority
Council for Estate Agencies
Housing and Development Board
National Parks Board
Urban Redevelopment Authority
The Ministry of National Development (Abbreviation: MND; Malay: Kementerian Pembangunan Nasional; Chinese: ) is a ministry of the Government of Singapore that directs the formulation and implementation of policies related to land-use planning and infrastructure development.
- 1 Aims
- 2 Organisational Structure
- 3 Statutory Boards
- 4 Professional Committees
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The MND's aim is to enhance Singaporeans' sense of belonging through:
- provision of quality and affordable homes;
- community bonding;
- development of green spaces and recreational infrastructure; and
- creation and retention of identity markers.
The MND responsibilities include the planning and management of land resources, and the promotion of the construction, real estate and agrotechnology industries.
The MND is made up of nine divisions: Strategic Planning Division, Housing Division, Infrastructure Division, Research & Strategy Management Division, Corporate Development Division, Corporate Communications Division, the Eco-City Project Office, the Centre for Liveable Cities and the Internal Audit Unit. On 1 October 2014, the Municipal Services Office was set up under the Ministry of National Development, with the aim to improve the Government's overall coordination and delivery of municipal services. The office is currently being overseen by Ms Grace Fu, Minister at Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for the Environment and Water Resources and Foreign Affairs.
The Strategic Planning Division works with the Urban Redevelopment Authority to help Singapore meet its land use needs with respect to the economy and living environment.
The Strategic Planning Division comes up with policies relating to land use sales / planning, development control and the private property market.
The Housing Division works with the Housing Development Board to plan and develop public housing towns that provide Singaporeans with affordable homes. The division's aims include community cohesion (by providing community spaces for interaction) and policies that support social objectives, such as racial harmony (Ethnic Integration Policy) and stronger family ties (CPF Housing Grant for those who live near their parents).
The Housing Division is responsible for policies on home ownership, public rental housing for low income families and the rejuvenation of older estates, amongst others.
Infrastructure is important to meeting the Ministry's aim of making Singapore a global city. The Infrastructure Division works with the Building and Construction Authority to shape the built environment for Singapore via building safety, construction quality, sustainability of buildings and construction, and the usability of the built environment. The Infrastructure Division also develops policies on the construction industry, sustainable development, accessibility, and building safety and quality.
The Infrastructure Division also partners the National Parks Board to integrate Singapore's urban infrastructure and garden environments. Together, they develop policies on enhancing greenery infrastructure, encouraging community participation in greening, and developing a strong horticultural industry.
The Infrastructure Division is also responsible (with the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority) for ensuring a the supply of safe food for Singapore, the health of animals and plants, and facilitating agri-trade.
Planning and Research
The Planning and Research Department undertakes policy reviews, and research and economic analyses. It also carries out international relations work by liaising with foreign counterparts to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and expanding international outreach efforts.
Eco-City Project Office
The Eco-City Project Office spearheads the Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City, which seeks to address the challenges of sustainable development in a holistic and balanced manner.
Centre for Liveable Cities
The Centre for Livable Cities (CLC) brings together Singapore's expertise on sustainable urban development across public and private sectors. It aims to distil and develop Singapore's experience in good governance, integrated urban planning, effective resource management, affordable public housing, efficient transport management, and environmental sustainability.
Municipal Services Office
The Municipal Services Office (MSO) aims to improve the Government’s overall coordination and delivery of municipal services. These services include the upkeep and improvement of the common living environment such as the cleanliness and maintenance of the estates and the upgrading or provision of facilities and infrastructure. Working hand-in-hand with key government agencies, the MSO oversees the review and formulation of policies, systems and processes to ensure efficient and effective delivery of municipal services.
The ministry oversees six statutory boards and three professional committees. These are:
- Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA)
- Building and Construction Authority (BCA)
- Council for Estate Agencies (CEA)
- Housing Development Board (HDB)
- National Parks Board (NParks)
- Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA)
Board of Architects (BOA)
The Board of Architects is the statutory authority established to administer the Architects Act in Singapore. The Architects Act 1991 sets out provisions for the registration of architects, the regulation of architectural qualifications, the practice of architecture by registered individuals, and the supply of architectural services by corporations.
Professional Engineers Board (PEB)
The Professional Engineers Board safeguards life, property, and welfare of the public, by setting and maintaining high standards for registering professional engineers, and by regulating and advancing the practice of professional engineering.
Strata Titles Board (STB)
The Strata Titles Board is a body constituted under Part VI of the Building Maintenace and Strata Management Act to hear applications: (a) for orders for collective sales under Part VA of the Land Titles (Strata) Act; and (b) relating to certain types of disputes or matters arising in respect of the strata units or the strata development including the common property.
- "Head T: Ministry of National Development" (PDF). Budget 2008: Revenue and Expenditure Estimates. Ministry of Finance. February 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2008.
- "Singapore Budget 2011 =http://www.singaporebudget.gov.sg/budget_2011/expenditure_overview/mnd.html =".
- "Changes in Permanent Secretary appointments". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- "Permanent Secretary appointments". Public Service Division. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Ministry of National Development". Ministry of National Development. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Singapore Government Directory Interactive - MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT". Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Features - Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City". Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "About - Centre for Liveable Cities". Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "MND Internet - About Us - Organisational Structure". Ministry of National Development. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "MND Internet - Useful Links". Ministry of National Development. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ministry of National Development (Singapore).|
- Ministry of National Development - Official website
- Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority - Official website
- Building and Construction Authority - Official website
- Housing and Development Board - Official website
- National Parks Board - Official website
- Urban Redevelopment Authority - Official website
- Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-City - Official website
- Centre for Liveable Cities - Official website
- World Cities Summit 2010 - Official website