The Minister of State for the Armed Forces is a middle-ranking ministerial position, subordinate only to the Secretary of State for Defence, at the Ministry of Defence in Her Majesty's Government.
The current incumbent is the Conservative MP Mark Francois.
The role's responsibilities are:
- All matters regarding Regular and Reserve Armed Forces
- Operations including Iraq, Counter-Terrorism, UK Operations, Northern Ireland and the Balkans
- Bilateral defence relations outside the NATO/Europe area
- Inquiries, Boards of Inquiry, Inquests
- Legal issues including detention
- Arms and Export Control
- Regional issues and the devolved Administrations
- The agencies DASA and DVA
List of Ministers of State for the Armed Forces
Colour key (for political parties):
Conservative Labour Liberal Democrats