Ministry of Commerce and Industry (India)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry administers two departments, the Department of Commerce and the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion. The head of the Ministry is a Minister of Cabinet rank. The incumbent Minister of Commerce and Industry is Anand Sharma, who has held the post since 22 May 2009 and is assisted by Minister of State for Commerce & Industry Sudarsana Natchiappan
Department of Commerce
The department is entrusted with formulating and implementing the foreign trade policy and responsibilities relating to multilateral and bilateral commercial relations, state trading, export promotion measures, and development and regulation of certain export oriented industries and commodities.
In order for the smooth functioning, the Department is divided into eight divisions:
- Administrative and General Division
- Finance Division
- Economic Division
- Trade Policy Division
- Foreign Trade Territorial Division
- State Trading & Infrastructure Division
- Supply Division
- Plantation Division
The subjects under the administrative control of the Department include:
- International trade
- Foreign Trade
- State trading
- Management of Indian Trade Services
- Special Economic Zones
Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion
This department was established in the year 1995, and in the year 2000 Department of Industrial Development was merged with it. This department is responsible for formulation and implementation of promotional and developmental measures for growth of the industrial sector, keeping in view the national priorities and socio-economic objectives. While individual administrative ministries look after the production, distribution, development and planning aspects of specific industries allocated to them, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion is responsible for the overall Industrial Policy. It is also responsible for facilitating and increasing the FDI flows to the country.
Policy and Promotion is also responsible for intellectual property rights relating to patents, designs, trademarks, and geographical indication of goods and oversees the initiative relating to their promotion and protection.
- "Anand Sharma - Minister of Commerce & Industry, Government of India". Department of Commerce, Government of India. Retrieved 2011-03-08.
- "Anand Sharma - Minister of Commerce & Industry, Government of India". Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Government of India. Retrieved 2011-03-08.
- "Organisational Set-up and Functions". Department of Commerce, Government of India. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Subjects under Administrative Control". Department of Commerce, Government of India. Retrieved 2008-11-06.