Ministry of Education (Ontario)
|Ministère de l'Éducation|
|Preceding Ministry||Ministry of Education and Training|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Ontario|
|Headquarters||14th Floor, Mowat Block, 900 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Annual budget||$24,742,056,114 (2012-13 fiscal year)|
|Minister responsible||Liz Sandals, Minister of Education|
The Ministry of Education (EDU) is the ministry of the Ontario government in the Canadian province of Ontario responsible for government policy, funding, curriculum planning and direction in all levels of public education, including elementary and secondary schools.
This Ministry is responsible for curriculum and guidelines for all officially recognized elementary and secondary schools in the province and some outside of the province. The ministry is also responsible for public and separate school boards across Ontario, but are not involved in the day-to-day operations.
Approach to Discipline
Ontario public schools use progressive discipline. Discipline is corrective and supportive rather than punitive, with a focus on prevention and early intervention. It is a whole-school, systemic approach, engaging students, families and the larger community, as well as classes, schools and boards. Schools are to recognize and respect the diversity of parent communities, and partner with them accordingly. Students are surveyed at least every two years about their experience of the school climate.
"For students with special education needs, interventions, supports, and consequences must be consistent with the student’s strengths and needs".
While the school principal is responsible for discipline, all board employees who come into contact with students are responsible for stepping in if inappropriate behaviour occurs. The principal may also delegate powers and duties related to discipline.
Hall-Dennis Report, 1968
The Hall-Dennis Report, officially titled Living and Learning, called for broad reforms to Ontario education, to empower teachers and the larger community, and put students' needs and dignity at the centre of education.
Fullan Report, 2013
The Fullan Report, officially titled Great to Excellent, calls for a focus on the 6 C's: Character, Citizenship, Communication, Critical thinking and problem solving, Collaboration and teamwork, and Creativity and imagination. The report also calls for innovation in how these areas are learned.
Ministers of Education
- Adam Crooks (1876-1883) Liberal
- Arthur Sturgis Hardy (1883) interim Liberal
- George Ross (1883-1899) Liberal
- Richard Harcourt (1899-1905) Liberal
- Robert Pyne (1905-1918) Conservative
- Henry John Cody (1918-1919) Conservative
- Robert Grant (1919-1923) United Farmers of Ontario
- Howard Ferguson (1923-1930) as Premier Conservative
- George Henry (1930-1934) as Premier Conservative
- Leonard Simpson (1934-1940) Liberal
- Duncan McArthur (1940-1943) Liberal
- George Drew (1943-1948) Progressive Conservative
- Dana Porter (1948-1951) Progressive Conservative
- William Dunlop (1951-1959) Progressive Conservative
- John Robarts (1959-1962) Progressive Conservative
- Bill Davis (1962-1971) Progressive Conservative
- Robert Welch (1971-1972) Progressive Conservative
- Thomas Wells (1972-1978) Progressive Conservative
- Bette Stephenson (1978-1985) Progressive Conservative
- Keith Norton (1985, February–May) Progressive Conservative
- Larry Grossman (1985, May–June) Progressive Conservative
- Sean Conway (1985-1987) Liberal
- Christopher Ward (1987-1989) Liberal
- Sean Conway (1989-1990) Liberal
- Marion Boyd (1990-1991) NDP
- Tony Silipo (1991-1993) NDP
- Dave Cooke (1993-1995) NDP
- John Snobelen (1995-1997) Progressive Conservative
- David Johnson (1997-1999) Progressive Conservative
- Janet Ecker (1999-2002) Progressive Conservative
- Elizabeth Witmer (2002-2003) Progressive Conservative
- Gerard Kennedy (2003-2006) Liberal
- Sandra Pupatello (2006) Liberal
- Kathleen Wynne (2006-2010) Liberal
- Leona Dombrowsky (2010-2011) Liberal
- Laurel Broten (2011-2013) Liberal
- Liz Sandals (2013–Present) Liberal
- Education in Ontario
- Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (Ontario)
- List of school districts in Ontario
- "Policy/Program Memorandum No. 145". Ministry of Education. Ministry of Education. Dec 5, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Safe Schools: Progressive Discipline - An explanation of the policy on the Ministry website
- Safe Schools: Progressive Discipline, p3
- Safe Schools: Progressive Discipline, p7, p15
- Hall-Dennis Report
- Ministry of Education. Ministry of Education. Jan 2013 http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/reports/FullanReport_EN_07.pdf
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved May 11, 2013.