Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (New Zealand)
|Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Logo of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
|Jurisdiction||Promoting New Zealand’s interests in trade and international relations|
|Headquarters||195 Lambton Quay, Wellington, New Zealand
|Ministers responsible||Murray McCully, Minister of Foreign Affairs
Tim Groser, Minister for Trade
John Key, Prime Minister
|Agency executive||John Allen, Chief Executive|
|Child agency||New Zealand Agency for International Development|
It is responsible to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Murray McCully, as well as the Minister for Trade, Tim Groser and Prime Minister John Key. It provides advice to the New Zealand Government on international issues.
The ministry represents New Zealand interests to other governments, including at the United Nations, APEC and the WTO. It takes an active role in the Asia-Pacific region, and has been involved in regional security initiatives such as the RAMSI intervention in the Solomon Islands, and negotiating and implementing a peace agreement in Bougainville. It is active in developing export opportunities for local companies, and in 2008 negotiated a free trade agreement with China.
The Ministry acts in a supervisory capacity (shared with the Ministry of Economic Development) for the delivery agency known as New Zealand Trade and Enterprise.
The New Zealand overseas development aid agency New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID) was a semi-autonomous agency within the ministry, until it was brought back into the ministry as the International Development Group (IDG). It is a major provider of aid to the Pacific.
Secretaries of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Sir Alister McIntosh (1942-1966)
- Sir George Laking (1967-1972)
- Frank Corner (1973-1980)
- Merwyn Norrish (1980-1988)
- Graham Ansell (1989-1993)
- Richard Nottage (1993-1998)
- Neil Walter (1998-2002)
- Simon Murdoch (2002-2009)
- John Allen (2009–present)
- Foreign relations of New Zealand
- List of diplomatic missions of New Zealand
- List of Ambassadors and High Commissioners to and from New Zealand as of 24 July 2006
- List of High Commissioners of New Zealand to the United Kingdom
- An eye, an ear and a voice: 50 years in New Zealand’s external relations edited by Malcolm Templeton (1993, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Wellington NZ) ISBN 0-477-03725-9
- Undiplomatic Dialogue: Letters between Carl Berendsen and Alister McIntosh 1943-1952 edited by Ian McGibbon (1993, Auckland University Press, Auckland NZ) ISBN 1-86940-095-X
- Unofficial Channels: Letters between Alister McIntosh and Foss Shanahan, George Laking and Frank Corner 1946-1966 edited by Ian McGibbon (1999, Victoria University Press, Wellington NZ) ISBN 0-86473-365-8