Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
North Block, Central Secretariat
|Formed||15 August 1947|
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Home Affairs
North Block, Cabinet Secretariat
|Minister responsible||Rajnath Singh, Minister of Home Affairs|
|Deputy Ministers responsible||Kiren Rijiju, Minister of State for Home Affairs
LC Goyal, Home Secretary
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) or Home Ministry is a ministry of the Government of India. An interior ministry, it is mainly responsible for the maintenance of internal security and domestic policy. The Home Ministry is headed by Union Minister of Home Affairs (or Home Minister), currently Rajnath Singh.
The ministerial team at the MHA is headed by the Union Cabinet Minister of Home Affairs, who is supported by one Minister of State and civil servants assigned to them to manage the ministers office and ministry.
Home Secretary and other senior officials
The Ministers are supported by a number of civilian, scientific and professional advisors. The Home Secretary is the senior civil servant at the MHA. His/Her role is to ensure the MHA operates effectively as a department of the government.
- Home Secretary — LC Goyal
- Director of Intelligence Bureau — Mr. Dineshwar Sharma 
- Director of CBI — Anil Kumar Sinha
Former Home Ministers
- Vallabhbhai Patel
- Govind Ballabh Pant
- Kailash Nath Katju
- Uma Shankar Dikshit
- Gulzarilal Nanda
- Indira Gandhi
- H D Deve Gowda
- Indrajit Gupta
- Shivraj Patil
- L K Advani
Former Home Secretaries of India
- Govind Narain (1971–1973)
- Nirmal Kumar Mukarji (1973–1975)
- T C A Srinivasa Varadan 1977-1980
- R D Pradhan (February 1985 – 1987)
- Lallan Prasad Singh
- Naresh Chandra (March 1990 – December, 1990)
- N Gopalaswami
- V K Duggal (March 2005 – 1 April 2007)
- Madhukar Gupta (1 April 2007– )
- Gopal Krishna Pillai (30 June 2009 – 30 June 2011)
- Raj Kumar Singh(30 June 2011 - 30 June 2013)
- Anil Goswami (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2015)
- L.C.Goyal (February 5,2015 - till now)
The Ministry of Home Affairs extends manpower and financial support, guidance and expertise to the State Governments for the maintenance of security, peace and harmony without trampling upon the constitutional rights of the States.
- Department of Border Management
- Department of Border Management, dealing with management of borders, including coastal borders.
- Department of Internal Security
- Department of Internal Security, dealing with police, law and order and rehabilitation.
- Department of Jammu & Kashmir Affairs
- Department of Jammu & Kashmir (J & K) Affairs, dealing with the constitutional provisions in respect of the State of Jammu & Kashmir and all other matters relating to the State excluding those with which the Ministry of External Affairs is concerned.
- Department of Home
- Dealing with the notification of assumption of office by the President and Vice President, notification of appointment of the Prime Minister and other Ministers, etc
- Department of Official Language
- Dealing with the implementation of the provisions of the Constitution relating to official languages and the provisions of the Official Languages Act, 1963.
- Department of States
- Dealing with Centre-State relations, Inter-State relations, Union Territories and Freedom Fighters' pension.
These are organisational divisions of the Ministry itself, without the splitting into specialised departments.
- Administration Division
- Handling all administrative and vigilance matters, allocation of work among various Divisions of the Ministry and monitoring of compliance of furnishing information under the Right to Information Act, 2005, matters relating to the Table of Precedence, Padma Awards, Gallantry Awards, Jeevan Raksha Padak Awards, National Flag, National Anthem, State Emblem of India and Secretariat Security Organisation.
- Border Management Division
- Matters relating to coordination by administrative, diplomatic, security, intelligence, legal, regulatory and economic agencies of the country for the management of international borders, creation of infrastructure like roads/fencing and floodlighting of borders, border areas development programme pilot project on Multi-purpose National Identity Card and Coastal Security.
- Centre-State Division
- The Division deals with Centre-State relations, including working of the constitutional provisions governing such relations, appointment of Governors, creation of new States, nominations to Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha, Inter-State boundary disputes, over-seeing the crime situation in States, imposition of President's Rule and work relating to Crime & Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS), etc.
- Coordination Division
- Intra-Ministry coordination work, Parliamentary matters, public grievances (PGs), publication of Annual Report of the Ministry, Record Retention Schedule, Annual Action Plan of the Ministry, custody of classified and non-classified records of the Ministry, Internal Work Study, furnishing of various reports of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and Persons with Disabilities, etc.
- Disaster Management Division
- Responsible for response, relief and preparedness for natural calamities and man-made disasters (except drought and epidemics). The Division is also responsible for legislation, policy, capacity building, prevention, mitigation and long term rehabilitation.
- Finance Division
- The Division is responsible for formulating, operating and controlling the budget of the Ministry under the Integrated Finance Scheme.
- Foreigners Division
- The Division deals with all matters relating to visa, immigration, citizenship, overseas citizenship of India, acceptance of foreign contribution and hospitality.
- Freedom Fighters & Rehabilitation Division
- The Division frames and implements the Freedom Fighters' Pension Scheme and the schemes for rehabilitation of migrants from former West Pakistan/East Pakistan and provision of relief to Sri Lankan and Tibetan refugees. It also handles work relating to Enemy Properties and residual work relating to Evacuee Properties.
- Human Rights Division
- The Division deals with matters relating to the Protection of Human Rights Act and also matters relating to national integration and communal harmony and Ayodhya.
- Internal Security Division-I
- Internal security and law&order, including anti-national and subversive activities of various groups/extremist organizations, policy and operational issues on terrorism, security clearances, monitoring of ISI activities and Home Secretary-level talks with Pakistan on terrorism and drug trafficking as a part of the composite dialogue process.
- Internal Security Division-II
- Division deals with arms and explosive; letters of request for mutual legal assistance in criminal matters; National Security Act, 1980 and representations thereunder; administration of Narcotics Control Bureau; providing central assistance to victims of terrorist, communal and naxal violence; matters relating to breach of privilege of MPs, etc.
- Jammu & Kashmir Division
- The Division deals with constitutional matters including Article 370 of the Constitution of India and general policy matters in respect of Jammu and Kashmir and terrorism/militancy in that State. It is also responsible for implementation of the Prime Minister's Package for J&K.
- Judicial Division
- Legislative aspects of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and also the Commission of Inquiry Act. It also handles matters relating to State legislations, which require the assent of the President under the Constitution, political pension to erstwhile rulers before independence, Mercy Petitions under Article 72 of the Constitution.
- Naxal Management Division
- Control of left wing extremism in India, as naxalism and maoism
- North East Division
- The Division deals with the internal security and law & order situation in North-Eastern States, including matters relating to insurgency and talks with various extremist groups operating in that region.
- Police Division-I
- Division functions as the cadre controlling authority in respect of Indian Police Service (IPS) and also deals with the award of Presidents' police Medals for Meritorious/ Distinguished service and Gallantry, etc.
- Police Division-II
- This Division deals with the policy, personnel, operational (including deployment) and financial matters relating to all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) including BSF Air Wing. It also deals with the matters relating to welfare of the serving and retired CAPF personnel and the deployments in UN Peace Keeping Missions.
- Police Modernisation Division
- The Division handles all items of work relating to modernisation of State Police Forces, provisioning/procurement of various items for modernization of Central Police Forces, police reforms and police mission.
- Policy Planning Division
- The Division deals with matters relating to policy formulation in respect of internal security issues, international cooperation on counter-terrorism, international covenants, bilateral assistance treaties and related items of work.
- Union Territories Division
- The Division deals with all legislative and constitutional matters relating to Union territories, including National Capital Territory of Delhi. It also functions as the cadre controlling authority of the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMU) cadre of Indian Administrative Service (IAS)/Indian Police Service (IPS) as also Delhi-Andaman and Nicobar Island Civil Service (DANICS)/ Delhi-Andaman and Nicobar Island Police Service (DANIPS). Besides, it is responsible for over-seeing the crime and law and order situation in UTs.
- "Dineshwar Sharma appointed new Intelligence Bureau Director". India Today. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- MHA IB Security Assistant Result
- MHA IB ACIO Admit Card
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ministry of Home Affairs (India).|