Ministry of Rural Development (India)
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi|
|Annual budget||74299 crore|
The Ministry of Rural Development, a branch of the Government of India, is entrusted with the task of accelerating the socio-economic development of rural India. Its focus is on health, education, drinking water, housing and roads.
On 12 July 2011, the Ministry was given over to Jairam Ramesh, an IIT-B graduate. On 13 July 2011 the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation was separated from the Ministry of Rural Development and named the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitaton. Jairam Ramesh himself assumed additional charge of the Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
Shri. Chaudhary Birender Singh was made the Minister of Rural Development, Minister of Panchayati Raj, Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation after NDA came to power in May 2014 LokSabha elections. Shri. Sudarshan Bhagat is the present Minister of State for Rural Development. 
The ministry has two departments, Department of Rural Development and Department of Land Resources, each headed by a senior civil servant designated as the Secretary of the Deportment. Mrs Anita Choudhry is the Secretary land Resources and Mr Jugal Kishore Mahapatra, a senior bureaucrat from Odisha is the Secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development.
Department of Rural Development
The department run three national-level schemes: Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for rural roads development, Swarnajayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY) rural emploment and for rural housing, Indira Awaas Yojana (IAY). It handles the administration of District Rural Development Agency (DRDA), and has three autonomous organizations under it:
- Council of Advancement of People’s Action and Rural Technology (CAPART)
- National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD)
- National Rural Road Development Agency (NRRDA)
The Minister of Rural Development is the Chairman of these three organisations and the Secretary of the Ministry is the Vice Chairman. The Minister is currently Mr Jairam Ramesh, and the Secretary is Mr S.Vijay Kumar
Department of Land Resources
The Department of Land Resources run three national-level programs:
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP)
- National Land Record Modernisation Programme (NLRMP)
- Technology Development, Extension & Training Programme (TDET)
- "Jairam Ramesh — Climate Change Action". www.climatechangeaction.in. Climate Change Action. 2011. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Detailed Profile - Shri Jairam Ramesh - Members of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) - Who's Who - Government: National Portal of India". archive.india.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- "Ministry of Rural Development - About". New Delhi: Govt of India. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation - Rajiv Gandhi Drinking Water Mission, New Delhi: Govt of India, retrieved 2011-08-08
- "Overview". Department of Rural Development. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Subrahmanyam Vijay Kumar
- "Schemes". Department of Land Resources. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|