Ministry of Tribal Affairs
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2014)|
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Tribal Affairs
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road
|Minister responsible||Jual Oram, Ministry of Tribal Affairs|
The ministry was set up in 1999 after the bifurcation of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (India) to have a more focused approach on the integrated socioeconomic development of the Scheduled Tribes (STs), the most underprivileged of the Indian Society. Before the formation of the ministry the tribal Affairs was being handled by different ministries which were:
- As a Division of the Ministry of Home Affairs known as Tribal Division since after independence up to September 1985.
- Ministry of Welfare: From September 1985 to May 1998.
- Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment from May 1998 to September 1999.
Functions of the Ministry
- Tribal Welfare-Planning, Policy formulation, Research and Training
- Tribal development including scholarships to STs
- Promotion of voluntary efforts in development of STs
- Administrative Ministry with respect to matters concerning Scheduled Areas
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs is the Nodal Ministry for overall policy, planning and coordination of programmes of development for Scheduled Tribes.
- Eklavya Model Residential Schools, started by the Ministry
- Department of Adi Dravidar and Tribal Welfare (Tamil Nadu)
- Department of tribal development (Maharashtra)
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|