Minnesota House of Representatives
|Minnesota House of Representatives|
|88th Minnesota Legislature|
New session started
|January 8, 2013|
Length of term
|Authority||Article IV, Minnesota Constitution|
|Salary||$31,140.90/year + per diem|
|November 4, 2014|
|November 1, 2016|
|House of Representatives chamber
Minnesota State Capitol
Saint Paul, Minnesota
The Minnesota House of Representatives is the lower house of the Minnesota Legislature of the U.S. state of Minnesota. There are 134 members, twice as many as the Minnesota Senate. Floor sessions are held in the north wing of the Minnesota State Capitol in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Offices of all members are located in the State Office Building, connected by tunnel just to the west of the Capitol. It is where most House committee meetings are held.
Following the ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1920, women were eligible for election to the Minnesota Legislature. In 1922, Mabeth Hurd Paige, Hannah Kempfer, Sue Metzger Dickey Hough and Myrtle Cain were elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
Each Senate district is divided in half and given the suffix A or B (for example, House district 32B is geographically within Senate district 32). Members are elected for two-year terms. Districts are redrawn after the decennial United States Census in time for the primary and general elections in years ending in 2. The most recent elections were held on November 4, 2014.
- 88th Minnesota Legislature (2013–2015)
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of previous legislature||61||72||133||1|
|February 19, 2013[nb 2]||73||61||134||0|
|End of previous legislature|
|Latest voting share||46.3%||53.7%|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
- "Women Wielding Power: Pioneer Female State Legislators". National Women's History Museum. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Minn. Const. art. IV, § 4". Constitution of the State of Minnesota. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- "Gottwalt, Steve". Legislators Past & Present. Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- "Morrow, Terry". Legislators Past & Present. Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Sommerhauser, Mark (February 19, 2013). "Theis takes oath to respresent House District 14A". St. Cloud Times. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "PHOTO: Clark P. Johnson, right, of Dist. 19A is the first of two new reps. sworn in to the House Tuesday.". Twitter. Minnesota House of Representatives Public Information Services. February 19, 2013. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- "Party Control of the Minnesota House of Representatives, 1951-present". Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Members by Seniority 2013 - 2014". Minnesota House of Representatives. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Minnesota House of Representatives official website