Minnesota State Highway 1
|Maintained by Mn/DOT|
|Length:||345.954 mi (556.759 km)|
|Existed:||1933 – present|
|West end:|| ND 54 at the Red River,
the Minnesota — North Dakota state line
|MN 169 at Ely|
|East end:||MN 61 at Illgen City|
|Counties:||Marshall, Pennington, Clearwater, Beltrami, Koochiching, Itasca,
Saint Louis, Lake
Minnesota State Highway 1 is a highway in northwest and northeast Minnesota, which runs from North Dakota Highway 54 at the North Dakota state line (at the Red River in Oslo) and continues east to its eastern terminus at its intersection with Minnesota Highway 61 at the unincorporated community of Illgen City in Beaver Bay Township on the North Shore of Lake Superior. At 346 miles (557 km) in length, Highway 1 is the longest state route in Minnesota.
The roadway passes through the following forests:
- Finland State Forest in Lake County
- Superior National Forest in Lake and Saint Louis counties
- Bear Island State Forest in Lake and Saint Louis counties
- Kabetogama State Forest in Saint Louis County
- George Washington State Forest in Itasca County
- Koochiching State Forest in Koochiching County
State Highway 1 also runs concurrent with State Highway 89 for 28 miles (45 km) on the southwest side of Red Lake. This is the longest concurrency with another state highway within Minnesota.
Most of State Highway 1 was authorized in 1933, except for a section between U.S. 75 and State Highway 32 at Thief River Falls which was part of Minnesota Constitutional Route 33 authorized in 1920.
When it was marked in 1934, it was only paved from U.S. 75 to Highway 32 and from Highway 169 to Ely.
As recently as 1963, significant portions of Highway 1 were unpaved.
|Red River of the North
||0.000||0.000||Continues as ND 54 in North Dakota|
||Oak Park Township||1.554||2.501||MN 220||West end of MN 220 concurrency|
|Alvarado||6.555||10.549||MN 220||East end of MN 220 concurrency|
||Thief River Falls||44.457||71.547||US 59||West end of US 59 concurrency|
|45.771||73.661|| US 59
|East end of US 59 concurrency
South end of MN 32 concurrency
|46.118||74.220||MN 32||North end of MN 32 concurrency|
|Goodridge Township||63.367||101.979||MN 219|
||No major junctions|
||Red Lake Indian Reservation||89.331||143.764||MN 89||North end of MN 89 concurrency|
|116.960||188.229||MN 89||South end of MN 89 concurrency|
|Cormant Township||141.331||227.450||MN 72||West end of MN 72 concurrency|
|Shooks||146.400||235.608||MN 72||East end of MN 72 concurrency|
||Unorganized Territory of Northome||151.288||243.474||US 71||South end of US 71 concurrency|
|Northome||154.276||248.283||US 71||North end of US 71 concurrency|
|Unorganized Territory of Northome||178.128||286.669||MN 6||North end of MN 6 concurrency|
||Unorganized Territory of Effie||180.452||290.409||MN 6||South end of MN 6 concurrency|
|Carpenter Township||211.369||340.165||MN 65||West end of MN 65 concurrency|
|215.424||346.691||MN 65||East end of MN 65 concurrency|
||Linden Grove||229.223||368.899||MN 73|
|Field Township||236.245||380.199||US 53||North end of US 53 concurrency|
|Sherman Corner||244.377||393.287||US 53||South end of US 53 concurrency|
|Peyla||258.848||416.575||MN 169||West end of MN 169 concurrency|
|Ely||286.208||460.607||MN 169||East end of MN 169 concurrency|
||Illgen City||347.340||558.990||MN 61|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Steve Riner (July 26, 2003). Details of Routes 1-25. Unofficial Minnesota Highways Page. Accessed August 27, 2004.
- "Trunk Highway Log Point Listing - Construction District 1" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Transportation. September 4, 2009. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Chapter 440-H.F. No. 2000", Session Laws of Minnesota for 1933 (Mike Holm, Secretary of State): 881–897
- Minnesota Highway Department (May 1, 1934). 1934 Map of Trunk Highway System, State of Minnesota (Map). http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/mdt&CISOPTR=210&DMSCALE=25&DMWIDTH=800&DMHEIGHT=800&DMX=1418&DMY=484&DMMODE=viewer&DMTEXT=&REC=15&DMTHUMB=1&DMROTATE=0. Retrieved November 16, 2010.
- "Trunk Highway Log Point Listing - Construction District 2" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Transportation. September 4, 2009. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- Minnesota Highway 1, MN Highway Endings.