Huldah Pierce Warren (Bump) Newell (June 2, 1849–July 23, 1878), better known as Minnie Warren, who was a proportionate dwarf and an entertainer associated with P.T. Barnum. Her sister, Lavinia Warren, was married to General Tom Thumb. They were very well known in 1860s' America and their meeting with Abraham Lincoln was covered in the press.
She was born in Middleborough, Massachusetts into a respected family whose roots went back to the beginning of the colony. Minnie and her sister had both been born at a normal birth weight but then stopped growing early in their lives. Their siblings were of a normal stature.
In addition to the public interest in her tiny stature, Minnie performed as a singer. She married Edmund Newell, who was also a dwarf and paid performer for Barnum.
Warren died from complications in childbirth on July 23, 1878. The baby, which weighed 6 pounds, died a few hours later
- Kennedy, Dan (2010) . "Chapter Three: Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues". Little People: A Father Reflects on His Daughter's Dwarfism -- and What It Means to Be Different (revised ed.). Retrieved September 24, 2009.
- ""COMMODORE NUTT" DEAD.; THE HISTORY OF THE WELL-KNOWN DWARF.". New York Times. May 26, 1881. Retrieved March 4, 2011.
- P.T. Barnum: America's Greatest Showman, Kunhardt, Philip B., Jr., Kunhardt, Philip B., III and Kunhardt, Peter W., Alfred A. Knopf, 1995. ISBN 0-679-43574-3.
- Smithsonian Institution
- Center For Disability And Public History
- Tom Thumb (1874). Sketch of the life: personal appearance, character and manners of Charles S. Stratton, the man in miniature, known as General Tom Thumb, and his wife, Lavinia Warren Stratton, including the history of their courtship and marriage ... Also, songs given at their public levees. S. Booth. pp. 7–. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- A. H. Saxon (1989). P.T. Barnum: The Legend and the Man. Columbia University Press. pp. 210–. ISBN 978-0-231-05687-8. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
|This article about an American entertainer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|