Minot Air Defense Sector
|Minot Air Defense Sector|
Emblem of the Minot Air Defense Sector
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The Minot Air Defense Sector (MADS) is an inactive United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the Air Defense Command 29th Air Division, being stationed at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. It was inactivated on 1 December 1963
Established in April 1959 assuming control of former ADC Western Air Defense Force 27th Air Division units in western North Dakota and eastern Montana. The organization provided command and control over several aircraft and radar squadrons.
The sector operated a SAGE Air-Defense Control Center (ADCC) (DC-19). A SAGE Direction Center built, and an AN/FSQ-7 direction computers operated the live air picture. The Combat Control Center or CC and it's accompanying An/FSQ - 8 computer were never installed or activated. The SAGE DC was consolidated with the Grand Forks Air Defense Sector on 1 March 1963, and inactivated on 1 December 1963.
- Established as Minot Air Defense Sector on 1 April 1959
- Inactivated on 1 December 1963
- 29th Air Division, 1 April 1959 – 1 December 1963
- 32d Fighter Wing (Air Defense)
- Minot AFB, North Dakota, 1 February 1961-1 July 1962
- 32d Fighter Group (Air Defense)
- Minot AFB, North Dakota, 1 August 1960-1 February 1961
- Minot AFB, North Dakota, 1 July 1962-25 June 1963
- Minot AFB, North Dakota, 1 January 1961-25 June 1963
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Aerospace Defense Command Fighter Squadrons
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Minot Air Defense Sector