|Now at||Vatican Library|
|Size||20 cm by 13.3 cm|
Minuscule 173 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 209 (Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 12th century. It has marginalia.
The codex contains the text of the four Gospels on 155 thick parchment leaves (size 20 cm by 13.3 cm), with a large lacunae in the fourth Gospel (John 12:1-21:25). It contains numerous itacistic errors.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the Ammonian Sections, but without references to the Eusebian Canons.
It contains the Epistula ad Carpianum, Eusebian Canon tables at the beginning, tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, lectionary markings at the margin (for liturgical use), Menologion, subscriptions at the end of each Gospel, with numbers of ρηματα, and numbers of στιχοι.
The Greek text of the codex is representative of the Byzantine text-type. According to Hermann von Soden it belongs to the textual family Kx. Aland did not place it in any Category. According to the Claremont Profile Method its text is mixed in Luke 1 and Luke 10. In Luke 20 it represents family Λ. It has some relationship to the textual group 1216.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 54.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 57.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 162.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 216.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 56. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.