|Now at||Biblioteca Angelica|
|Size||19.5 cm by 16.5 cm|
|Note||member of Family 1424
Minuscule 179 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 211 (Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 12th century. It has marginalia.
The codex contains an almost complete text of the four Gospels on 249 thick parchment leaves (size 19.5 cm by 16.5 cm), with some lacunae. The text is written in one column per page, in 21-23 lines per page, in dark-brown ink; the capital letters in red.
The last five leaves (214-218) and two others (23, 30) are paper, and were added later in the 15th or 16th century.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the Ammonian Sections, with references to the Eusebian Canons (written below Ammonian Sectin numbers).
It contains the Eusebian Canon tables at the beginning, lists of the κεφαλαια (lists of contents) before each Gospel, and lectionary markings at the margin for liturgical use. Synaxarion and Menologion were added in the 15th or 16th century on paper.
The Greek text of the manuscript is mostly the Byzantine, but it is not pure Byzantine. Kurt Aland did not place it in any Category. It is classified to the textual Family 1424. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents textual family Kx in Luke 10 and Luke 20. In Luke 1 it has mixed text.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 54.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 57.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 163.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 216.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. pp. 129, 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 56. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- A. Birch, Variae Lectiones ad Textum IV Evangeliorum, Haunie 1801, p. LVI
- Minuscule 179 at the Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism