|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||20.2 cm by 15 cm|
Minuscule 2278 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament written on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th century. Gregory catalogued it twice as 812 and 2278.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, with their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also another division according to the Ammonian Sections (with divergences), whose numbers are given at the margin, without references to the Eusebian Canons.
It contains Epistula ad Carpianum, tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, and pictures. Lectionary markings at the margin (for church reading), Synaxarion, and Menologion were added by later hand.
Gregory dated the manuscript to the 12th century. The manuscript is currently dated by the INTF to the 14th century. According to Frederick Wisse the manuscript was written in 1314. There is a note at the end of the Gospel of Matthew, made by different hand with date 1322, about an attack of the Turks. Before Matthew there is another note with date 1746.
It was held in Corfu and belonged to Archbishop Eustathius, then it came to "Dawes Collection" (as the second volume; the first volume belonged to 2277, the third to 2279). In 15 October 1904 it was bought for the British Museum.
It was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Gregory (812e). Gregory saw it in 1886 during his visit in Greece.
In 17 October 1904 Gregory saw this manuscript in British Museum and catalogued again under the siglum 2278. This time he assigned age of the manuscript for the 11th or 12th century. Second description is more detailed though he did not enumerated pages of the codex. One page of the codex was edited in facsimile.
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 94. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1909). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 3. Leipzig. p. 1205.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig. p. 224.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 85. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 121.
- Facsimiles of Ancient Manuscripts, ed. E. M. Thompson and others, I (London, 1903), p. 52.