|Text||New Testament (except Rev.) †|
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||18.8 cm by 13.5 cm|
Minuscule 491 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), δ 152 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th-century. Scrivener labeled it by number 576. The manuscript is lacunose.
The codex contains the text of the New Testament except Book of Revelation on 305 parchment leaves (size 18.8 cm by 13.5 cm) with some lacunae (Matthew 1:1-28; Acts 1:1-23; 7:8-39). The text is written in one column per page, 34 lines per page. It is beautifully written.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, with τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages. The text of the Gospels has also a division according to the Ammonian Sections (in Mark 236 sections, the last in 16:12), (no references to the Eusebian Canons).
It contains the Eusebian tables (blank), tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, and subscriptions at the end of each Gospel. It contains also Book of Psalms and Hymns with lacunae in Psalm 1-3.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. According to Scrivener it is similar to 440. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method in Luke 1 and Luke 20 it belongs to group 16 along with the manuscripts 16, 119, 217, 330, 578, 693, 1528.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 66.
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 76. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 257–258.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 195.
- Aland, Kurt; Barbara Aland; Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.) (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. pp. 61, 107. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- W. J. Elliott, The Relationship between 322 and 323 of the Greek New Testament NTS 14 (1968), pp. 271-281.