|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||20.3 cm by 15.2 cm|
Minuscule 494 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 437 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th-century. The manuscript is lacunose, full marginalia. The manuscript was adapted to the liturgical use.
The codex contains the text of the four Gospels on 222 parchment leaves (size 20.3 cm by 15.2 cm) with some lacunae (Mark 6:56-7:17; 10:8-25; Luke 8:37-51; 11:17-32; 20:20-21:2; 24:26-53; John 1:1-22). The text is written in one column per page, 23 lines per page. It has itacistic errors.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the smaller Ammonian Sections, with references to the Eusebian Canons.
It contains prolegomena, tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, lectionary markings at the margin (for liturgical use), incipits, Synaxarion (liturgical book), and subscriptions at the end of each Gospel. It has marginal notes.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Aland placed it in Category V. Hermann von Soden included it to the textual family Kx. According to the Claremont Profile Method it creates cluster with 343 in Luke 1 and Luke 10. In Luke 20 it has mixed Byzantine text (Luke 20 is a fragmentary).
It has some unique readings and many corrections.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 66.
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 76. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 195.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 61. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- UBS3, p. XXIII.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 195.