|Text||New Testament †|
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||26.7 cm by 19 cm|
|Hand||very minute writing|
Minuscule 498 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), δ 402 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th-century. Scrivener labelled it by number 584. The manuscript is lacunose.
The codex contains the text of the whole New Testament on 186 parchment leaves (size 26.7 cm by 19 cm) with some lacunae (Matthew 1:1-2:12; Mark 5:2-6:10; Acts 1:1-5:2; James 1:1-5:4; Jude; Romans 1:1-4:9; 2 Thess 2:14-3:18; 1 Timothy 1:1-13; 6:19-21; 2 Timothy 1:1-2:19).
The text is written in one column per page, 35 lines per page, in very small hand. The text of the Gospels is divided according to Ammonian Sections, whose numbers are given at the margin, with references to the Eusebian Canons. It contains prolegomena (later hand), Eusebian Canon tables, and Euthalian Apparatus. In Acts τιτλοι (titles) and lectionary markings at the margin, prolegomena to every epistle.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents the textual group M1386 in Luke 1, Luke 10, and Luke 20 (weak).
The manuscript was written by Gerasimus. It was bought in 1848 by Thomas Rodd. The manuscript was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scrivener. It was examined by Bloomfield. Scrivener thoroughly examined and collated its text. Herman C. Hoskier collated text of the Apocalypse.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 66.
- Aland, K.; M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 76. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 258.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 196.
- Aland, Kurt; Barbara Aland; Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.) (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. pp. 61, 100. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- F. H. A. Scrivener, An Exact Transcript of the Codex Augiensis (Cambridge and London, 1859), p. 74. (as j)
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose (1859). An Exact Transcript of the Codex Augiensis. Cambridge: Deighton Bell & Co. p. LXXIV. (as j)
- Herman C. Hoskier, Concerning the Text of the Apocalypse (1 vol., London, 1929), p. 296.