|Now at||Sion College|
|Size||27.6 cm by 21 cm|
Minuscule 559 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 139 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on a parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th century. The manuscript is lacunose. Scrivener labeled it by number 518.
The codex contains the text of the four Gospels on 152 parchment leaves (size 27.6 cm by 21 cm) with some lacunae (Mark 1:1-14; 4:20-30; Luke 1:1-13; John 1:1-17; 4:9-30; 9:14-20:25). The first pages of Mark, Luke, and John have been taken away for the sake of illuminations. The manuscript is damaged by humidity, and much of the text is illegible.
The writing is in one column per page, 24 lines per page. The initial letters are in gold. The minuscule contains tables of the κεφαλαια (only in Mark), numerals of the κεφαλαια at the margin, the τιτλοι in gold, lectionary markings, incipits (notes on the beginning) in red, αναγνωσεις (liturgical notes), subscriptions, numbered στιχοι, and pictures. The Ammonian Sections (in Mark 234 - 16:9), in red, were added by a later hand. There is no the Eusebian Canons.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Hermann von Soden classified it to the textual family Kx. Aland placed it in Category V. According to Wisse's Profile Method it represents the textual family Kx in Luke 1 and Luke 10. In Luke 20 it has mixed Byzantine text. It has an unusual readings.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 68.
- Aland, K.; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 79. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament, vol. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 250.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments, Vol. 1. Leipzig. p. 202.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 63. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- C. Steenbuch, Minuscule MS Evan. 559 (XI Cent.), JTS XVI (1915), pp. 264–267.